We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Small Pots Pension effect on UC
saintscouple
Posts: 4,306 Forumite
Hello,
I would just like to clarify something.
In the near future i will be drawing from my pension under small pots rule, aprox £7k
I understand this is treated as capital / savings in UC, and also anything over £6k will have £4.35 deducted for every £250 or part of over the £6k
My question is, in the same assessment period as when the lump sum hits my account, could i spend the excess of £6k, so my account shows a balance of less than that amount, and then declare it to UC meaning I avoid any deductions?
Thank you
I would just like to clarify something.
In the near future i will be drawing from my pension under small pots rule, aprox £7k
I understand this is treated as capital / savings in UC, and also anything over £6k will have £4.35 deducted for every £250 or part of over the £6k
My question is, in the same assessment period as when the lump sum hits my account, could i spend the excess of £6k, so my account shows a balance of less than that amount, and then declare it to UC meaning I avoid any deductions?
Thank you
0
Comments
-
I think you have until the end of the NEXT assessment period to dispose of the excess to avoid deductions - you still have to report however much you have left of the £7k1
-
No, as it's capital it will be the same AP that it's received.DE_612183 said:I think you have until the end of the NEXT assessment period to dispose of the excess to avoid deductions - you still have to report however much you have left of the £7k
Let's Be Careful Out There3 -
Yes, as long as the end of the AP capital is £6k or below there aren't any deductionssaintscouple said:
My question is, in the same assessment period as when the lump sum hits my account, could i spend the excess of £6k, so my account shows a balance of less than that amount, and then declare it to UC meaning I avoid any deductions?
Let's Be Careful Out There1 -
Thank you for the clarification, much appreciated.0
-
I would add that what you spend it on is relevant and will be taken into consideration, to ensure it is not deliberate deprivation of capital in order to increase your award of UC. You should check the deprivation of capital rules carefully.I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.2
-
Thanks NedS,
I cannot find official guidance of the rules, other than i have not deprived myself of capital if it were used to:pay off or reduce a debt
pay for goods and services if the purchase was reasonable in the claimant's circumstances
We have a holiday each year, so guess we can use money for that as long as it´s a similar cost to previous years, and we can do with some new appliances.
I guess it just comes down to the decision makers judgement when I inform them of the savings.0 -
How much over the £6k will you be when you get pension payments? and are you allowing for income?saintscouple said:Thanks NedS,
I cannot find official guidance of the rules, other than i have not deprived myself of capital if it were used to:pay off or reduce a debt
pay for goods and services if the purchase was reasonable in the claimant's circumstances
We have a holiday each year, so guess we can use money for that as long as it´s a similar cost to previous years, and we can do with some new appliances.
I guess it just comes down to the decision makers judgement when I inform them of the savings.
Let's Be Careful Out There0 -
£1k over and not allowing for income.HillStreetBlues said:
How much over the £6k will you be when you get pension payments? and are you allowing for income?saintscouple said:Thanks NedS,
I cannot find official guidance of the rules, other than i have not deprived myself of capital if it were used to:pay off or reduce a debt
pay for goods and services if the purchase was reasonable in the claimant's circumstances
We have a holiday each year, so guess we can use money for that as long as it´s a similar cost to previous years, and we can do with some new appliances.
I guess it just comes down to the decision makers judgement when I inform them of the savings.0 -
If your UC payment (or other benefits & income) is over £1k then even with £7k monies at the end of your AP you aren't over the £6k lower capital limit.saintscouple said:
£1k over and not allowing for income.HillStreetBlues said:
How much over the £6k will you be when you get pension payments? and are you allowing for income?saintscouple said:Thanks NedS,
I cannot find official guidance of the rules, other than i have not deprived myself of capital if it were used to:pay off or reduce a debt
pay for goods and services if the purchase was reasonable in the claimant's circumstances
We have a holiday each year, so guess we can use money for that as long as it´s a similar cost to previous years, and we can do with some new appliances.
I guess it just comes down to the decision makers judgement when I inform them of the savings.
With that amount of money DoC will not be a factor.
Let's Be Careful Out There0 -
They've received £7k of capital in the AP. If they then spend £1k of that capital during the rest of the AP to take it under £6k by the end of the AP, then clearly DoC is relevant. It is income that is not relevant (in this case) as it is not capital. This isn't about income being classed as capital in the AP in which it was received. The £7k was never income, it was always capital from the day it was received.HillStreetBlues said:If your UC payment (or other benefits & income) is over £1k then even with £7k monies at the end of your AP you aren't over the £6k lower capital limit.
With that amount of money DoC will not be a factor.
I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Benefits & tax credits, Heat pumps and Green & Ethical MoneySaving forums. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
