We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

My Garden Plan

Options
I have a large patch of half dead grass at them bottom of my garden, I have tried over the last couple of years to get the grass to grow without any luck.

Anyway, I have decide to give up and get rid of the grass. My plan is to create raised borders around the edge which I will eventually plant with quite tall plants as I want to create a 'secret garden', for this year I may just try some seeds. In the centre I was going to use weed killer to kill the grass off, dig down a bit (moving the earth to the raised beds), cover with the weed repellent fabric and then bark.

I was just wondering if I this sounded too easy - I know that I am being a bit lazy but cannot see why it shouldn't look OK? If you have any hints / tips for me that would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance, Dawn

Comments

• mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds ok to me. We put bark around our wild life pond and then planted a few 'groundcover' plants - mind your own business, thyme, creeping jenny etc. The mind your own business spread all over the place and would have been the next best thing to a lawn but after a back injury I got a young lad in to 'tidy up' for me...........next thing I knew half the mind your own business had gone so this year I'll have to plant some of them again. I've put some gravel down as well as the bark now ..........the bark seemed to thin out a bit so I thought it needed a bit more of something to cover it.
    Your plan sounds fine but gardening can be a bit 'trial and error' and until somethings actually done its difficult to tell how it will look.
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • Frugalmum_2
    Options
    I'm not sure but if you use weedkiller to kill the grass won't it contaminate the soil that you are then going to use for the borders, thus killing off your plants?

Not trying to be the voice of doom!

Just that my neighbour uses weedkiller to keep her border next to our fence clear of weeds and all my plants died on that side.
    2008 Live on £4000 # 119 £249.68/£3836.07 joined 15 Jan
    Sealed Pot Challenge #102 - Target £500 FebGrocery Challenge £23.36/£100
    Quidco 2008 - £133.80 Ebay Target 2008 £269.65/£1200 Amazon Target £150
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    If you are digging the grass area up, why not just put the turfs at the bottom of the beds under any soil you are using? Save on the weedkiller; put it upside down and it should be ok. The few bits that will grow will get swamped by the end plants anyway.

We dug our grass up on our path area; turned each turf over, put fabric over and then barked it and it was fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure