We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Zopa Biscuit Account - Direct Debits

2

Comments

  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 7,125 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic

    I've not found any issues with Zopa but not my main account. It most likely would be if i had an overdraft.

    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • clairec666
    clairec666 Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    No fees. The only "issue" I've had with Zopa is their insistence on calling their current account "Biscuit". App seems to work well and I've never had any problems with it. Withdrawals have been immediate.

  • The_Groat_Counter
    The_Groat_Counter Posts: 746 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 26 May at 10:59AM


    Specifically regarding this question…

    "Is the cashback for indefinite period??"

    The answer is no, at least not for the 'boosted' 4% cashback rate - this is a limited-time promotional offer for new current account customers, and on the 'Biscuit by Zopa' landling page there's this in the not-so-small print (my bolding):

    You'll earn 4% cashback on up to £2,000 of Direct Debits a year – and the rate's yours for a full 12 months.


    Further down the page there's a further reference to the 4% DD cashback with this comment:

    Lock it in now and the rate is yours for the full year.


    They don't explicitly state that after a year the cashback will revert to the 2% DD cashback (max £30 a year) which is what it was before this 'limited-time' offer… so perhaps they're leaving their options open.

    (There was an earlier cashback rate of 3% up to a maximum of £90 a year, but that only applies for older customers who signed up when that was on offer.)

  • adindaspantai
    adindaspantai Posts: 80 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary

    Thanks It seems to me it is just a teasing rate. Moving utilities DD is not straight forward. I think drop to 2% after one year is still a good rate but if there is no clear statement this will be the case.

    I am rather reluctant to move my utilities DD.I have read somewhere that we could still get maximum cashback by DD using moneybox as the source of DD is it still working ??

  • superM
    superM Posts: 506 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I think Zopa has cashback policy. Is it now 2% on £125 max DD a month so £2.50 each month. You cannot setup a DD for £1500 and claim £30?

  • qsk
    qsk Posts: 520 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I don't think anyone is moving utility DD. If you go through the thread, the most popular word is "Moneybox". I guess you could use Paypal DD for the same effect.

  • adindaspantai
    adindaspantai Posts: 80 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 20 September at 10:09AM

    So far I have not used the Zopa DD cashback as I am still familiarising myself with how to approach it. I understand from the current information there is a 2% on £125 max DD a month so £2.50 each month.

    I do not want to move my utility bills to Zopa as to me it is too risky. Could I just used the Money box to pull £125 from Zopa biscuit current account and earn £2.50 a month.

    In addition to direct debit, it there a way to get cashback from regular use of Zopa debit card for purchase?

    TIA

  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 4,335 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    Different people have different Zopa DD cashback offers. I used to have 2% on up to £1,500, which I could do with one annual DD and which made me £30. I did this for 2 years. They are now offering me 3% on up to £150 a month, adding up to £54 a year, so I have switched to this. You might have a different offer.

    There is also a "3% cashback on eating out" in my Zopa app. This must be via the Zopa debit card. I am not using that one as I already have the same deal on a Santander credit card and I prefer paying by credit card.

  • adindaspantai
    adindaspantai Posts: 80 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 20 September at 11:37AM

    Is there a way to earn cashback via groceries rather than specific eating out, like the one offered by Chase debit card in the past, not the current Chase 2% offer which require a condition of maintaining minimum saving of £1,000 at all time ?

  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 4,335 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    I don't think there is with Zopa. There are credit cards which pay you cashback on all purchases, though most of those are max 0.5% for the average spender.

    Depending on where you shop, gift cards might be of interest. For example, 2.5% at Waitrose, 1.7% at M&S, 2% Sainsburys, 2.6% Tescos. More than double these discounts if you can be a member of an employer discount scheme, e.g. NHS Blue Light. I find these gift cards cumbersome for every day use but good value for money on larger purchases.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.