Cheapest Business Broadband

Need to set up a business broadband connection. I already have a modem and router so not bothered if the ISP provides a free one. I can only get 1meg in my area so that will do. Who are the best/cheapest for business broadband? Also, what would happen if I tried to connect to a residential BB provider? Would my BT business line be logged as a business line and therefore any residential BB registrations would fail? As far as I see, there are no differences between residential and business apart from the price!

Comments

• Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    In the office I work in we installed a BT line just for Broadband and then went with Tesco billed to my boss at home, no problems have arisen ;)
  • Toon
    Toon Posts: 246 Forumite
    In the office I work in we installed a BT line just for Broadband and then went with Tesco billed to my boss at home, no problems have arisen ;)

Do you mean Tesco residential and then billed to a residence because it's a residential package?
  • tin
    tin Posts: 502 Forumite
    Eclipse internet do business broadband for the same prices as their residential offering. I have succesfully stuck a 256k business broadband onto a business registered BT line but added the cost to my residential service bill, with no issues of any veriety. Eclipse also have a very good reputation, and aside from some slight problems with billing (all involving me potentially being better off I might add) I've had no problems with the service.
  • katiepops_2
    katiepops_2 Posts: 359 Forumite
    We use AOL - they don't have a business connection as such, it's apparently open to all.

Kate
  • Ria
    Ria Posts: 208 Forumite
    I run a business from home and I use an ordinary broadband package 1MG @£15.99. with Tiscali.No problem apart from some intitial start up hiccups. I have BT business lines for telephone & internet connection. Not sure why you want 'business' broadband as you just pay more - am I missing something?

Yesterday Tiscali offering same package for £14.99. Hope this helps.
  • sophiedb
    sophiedb Posts: 71 Forumite
    We use Freedom 2 Surf's Connect Lite tariff for business users - it has a 2Gb monthly limit, but I've not come close to hitting it yet. No problems setting it up, easy to print invoices etc etc - generally a very happy customer!
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sophiedb, Freedom2surf looks very expensive to me - for starters, there are huge connection charges, and ALL their prices are quoted without VAT! Plus, I think their "up to 8Mbit" is rather misleading because of course we can at some stage all have "up to 8Mbit" - some of us earlier, some of us later. But at present, this is 'jam tomorrow' for most of us!

The broadband offer catalogue is a bit of a jungle, and providers are likely to leapfrog each other faster and faster (goodness for us as users!) but one of the best current offers must be, as Ria already mentioned, from Tiscali.

Whatever you end up doing, Toon, don't buy from BT - just about everybody else will give you a better deal, and I can't think of anything that makes BT's service worth the extra money (speaking as a BT Broadband customer of many years, now switched to Tiscali and not getting any worse - just a better price, saving £60 / year on precisely the same package. Help desk support is the same - mediocre - quality with both....I think Help desks are just meant to be mediocre, regardless of what they are supporting. One day I might write a book about Help desks - IT companies, service providers, banks, insurance companies all seem to employ people on their help desks who are just about capable of reading their scripts, nothing much else! rant off ).
  • sophiedb
    sophiedb Posts: 71 Forumite
    innovate wrote:
    Sophiedb, Freedom2surf looks very expensive to me - for starters, there are huge connection charges, and ALL their prices are quoted without VAT!

hi innovate - you're right, F2S are quite pricey now that I look around.. but when I joined they were more competitive *shrug* stoy of my life, but at least they're not at the BT level!
    ..one of the best current offers must be, as Ria already mentioned, from Tiscali.

Regards Tiscali, I know there's no such thing as perfect but the sheer weight of complaints about them put me right off. Have a read: ISP review - Tiscali

All in all I guess this is like utilities: shop round every once in a while..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure