We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Cutting back on Admin

124»

Comments

  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,993 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Before retirement I did a forward plan and estimated to the last penny. After a few years I found that I have sufficient funds and no longer need to track expenditure for living expenses and just check bank balances before any larger non-routine expenditure :-)

    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,993 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • annielyn
    annielyn Posts: 36 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    A meeting with the financial advisor yesterday was an eye opener. She basically said this, that we should enjoy spending what we have spent our lives saving now while we can enjoy it. In fact she suggested us taking a bit more income out the pot so I feel we must be on track.

    I agree that spending on making memories is never wasted, its this we will remember in years gone by. I also feel vindicated in spending on our new summerhouse (see my separate thread on letting go of the purse strings).

    My father never made it to retirement, he died very suddenly at 59, so I am very aware that we must make the most of the chance we have now to enjoy life.

    Off to start researching a few holiday destinations now. 😉

  • MoJo
    MoJo Posts: 548 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Sorry, I had to chuckle.

    We are both SPs and I still keep household accounts - yes I was a bean counter in my previous life 😊 I still have budgets and reveiw our spending every quarter.

    I enjoy it and I like to know where all our pennies are and that they are not idling about somewhere when they could be making more pennies.

    And, here's the thing - it keeps my brain ticking over nicely ☺️

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.