We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Independent Newspaper - Subscription refund

I subscribed to The Independent Premium on 29/11/2024 for a trial offer of £1 for 6 months and then £99 annually. Stupidly, I noted in my diary to cancel on the 30th May, I have just received notification from PayPal of a payment of £99.00 to the Independent. I have just challenged this and tried to get my money back, however have been paid a partial refund of £50.00 as a gesture of goodwill. Is there anyway of getting my money back? 

Comments

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,165
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Sadly not. Lucky they were generous with the £50.
    Life in the slow lane
  • B_Barks75
    B_Barks75 Posts: 5
    Fifth Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Can I use the lack of renewal notifications and the fact that I have not used the service post renewal to try and claim my money back? 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,165
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    B_Barks75 said:
    Can I use the lack of renewal notifications and the fact that I have not used the service post renewal to try and claim my money back? 
    No.
    With these they do not need to send a renewal info. It is down to user to remember.

    The only way to claim back would be if you had cancelled before renewal was due.
    Life in the slow lane
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.