We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Lifesight Pension - any good?

1235»

Comments

  • EAB2
    EAB2 Posts: 189 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 24 August at 2:45PM

    So they crystallised £5,000 and sent you an amount with some tax deducted on the £3,750 taxable amount I assume?

    £5,000 a month/£60k a year is what we expect to live on in early retirement, but I don't want to be paying any tax on that. So the plan is that Mrs EAB and I each take £30,000 in income, both using our £12,570 income tax allowance and drawing £17,430 each from non-taxable sources, either via FAD or from ISAs.

    I understand that if using FAD we'd build up a taxable crystallised pot, but we are unlikely to need quite so much when we are not travelling the world in our 70s and beyond so any tax then will be minimal.

    But if Lifesight only does UFPLS or FAD, not a combination, that might put a spanner in the works, because I will likely need the majority of my tax free cash for a property purchase (having carelessly lost my own house in a divorce).

    As the Lifesight guide says…
    Tax-free lump sums

    If you are yet to take advantage of your entitlement to receive 25% of your fund value tax-free, your options are as follows:

    1. You can choose to take 25% of each withdrawal you make tax-free, paying tax on the remaining 75%. This will be the default unless you tell the LifeSight Team otherwise.

    2. You can choose to take your 25% tax-free entitlement as a lump sum (up to a limit of £268,275) at any time before you start making withdrawals by requesting this from the LifeSight team. Please note that you can only do this once and after that your remaining funds will be taxed as income.

    …so if I take the tax-free amount at the start they will crystallise the lot and I'll have to pay tax on anything over £12,570. But if I don't take any tax free money at the start it's UFPLS and each payment is made 25% tax free.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,637 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    In general you will find the SIPP providers are more flexible for withdrawal options and you can chop and change, take out only part of the tax free cash etc. So to name some names; AJ Bell; Interactive Investor; Fidelity and Hargreaves Lansdown are the four biggest players. Plus there is Vanguard, who are not strictly a SIPP provider, but similar.

    The more traditional providers and the newer low cost recent entrants in the markets, tend to have more restrictions.

  • GenX0212
    GenX0212 Posts: 338 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Thats the way I read it, you can take your intial 25% one-off lump sum tax free and crystalise the whole pot, everything withdrawn after is taxable OR you can use UFPLS for all your withdrawals.

    It doesnt appear that they operate seperate crystalised/non-crystalised pots which I think is what you are hoping to achieve.

  • EAB2
    EAB2 Posts: 189 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I had a chat with Vanguard who have my ISA money.

    They apparently do UFPLS and FAD. They charge £375 platform fee across all your pension, ISA and other investments, plus the fund management charge which is about 0.07% (£70 per £100,000) on the S&P UCITS ETF I think. Seems reasonable compared to AJ Bell and others

    The chap said it can take absolutely weeks to get anything from WTW though…

  • GenX0212
    GenX0212 Posts: 338 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Isn't that fund 100% USA though? Dont you need some diversification?

  • EAB2
    EAB2 Posts: 189 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Absolutely. The 'rest of the developed world' fund is 0.12% charge, so blending them would immediately get you some diversification

  • EAB2
    EAB2 Posts: 189 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I'm interested to know about the 'lower' AJB charges.

    As far as I can see they would be £875 a year for £500k invested, PLUS dealing charges. Annual fee at Lifesight for the basic equity fund is £500 a year all in.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,888 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I'm interested to know about the 'lower' AJB charges.

    As far as I can see they would be £875 a year for £500k invested, PLUS dealing charges. Annual fee at Lifesight for the basic equity fund is £500 a year all in.

    Noting that you're replying to a post from 18 months ago and charging may have changed since then, at that time the OP was paying "around £90 a month" (£1k for the year) on a £500k.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • EAB2
    EAB2 Posts: 189 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Sorry to relight this one, but I couldn't tell from my conversation with the Lifesight phone line - can you do Phased Drawdown with them?

    For example, if I have a £600k DC pot and need £100k of the available £150k tax free cash to pay off the mortgage. Can I crystallise £400k, take my £100k tax free and leave £200k uncrystallised for later use either as FAD or UFPLS?

  • GenX0212
    GenX0212 Posts: 338 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    I'm not sure whether you could do that without incurring an immediate Additonal Rate tax charge on £300k of the £400k crystallised.

    I would suggest you contact LifeSight by email, explain what you want to do and ask them to explictly confirm the drawdown options and tax treatment.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.