French Francs - what can I do with them!

Options
Hi. Couldn't find any advice on this subject. Having a new year clear out and found a lot of French Franc banknotes that we forgot about. Is there any way to cash these in or even give them to a charity? If not, I suppose they wil be useful to light the fire.
Many thanks (a newcomer to the Forum so please accept my apologies if I have done something wrong):confused:
Gobbygordon

Comments

• Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome Gordon - I don't know if you can cash them in or not because I don't know if Francs exist anymore. However, if there is an American Express Travel Shop near to you (one that has money exchange) you can take them in there as they have a charity box that takes notes and change.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As you have notes rather than coins, you still have the opportunity to take a trip to France and exchange them at the Banque de France.

From the BBC:

"As from 30 June, 2002, French banks and post offices will no longer be required to exchange French francs. Any remaining coins and notes must be exchanged by the Banque de France. This situation will last three years for coins, and ten for notes. After this time, the French Franc will be a thing of the past."

As you have notes rather than coins, you still have the opportunity to take a trip to France and exchange them at the Banque de France.
  • loobylou2
    loobylou2 Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    A lot of charities will accept foreign currencies even if they are no longer in use. I seem to remember giving a lot of leftover foreign change to the Children in Need appeal last year!!! Hope this helps
    loobylou2.Proud to be dealing with my debts and aiming to sort out the mess in 2013!!!!:eek:
  • superstar_2
    superstar_2 Posts: 2,104 Forumite
    Options
    I collect foreign currencies and coins and have just checked - i dont have francs. So, i would be happy to have them and keep them safely if you want to give it to me. :)
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would put them in a charity box, there are many by airports that accept legacy currencies :)

Francs were taken out of circulation 6 years ago and each FRF 6.55957 was replaced by a euro :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi. Couldn't find any advice on this subject. Having a new year clear out and found a lot of French Franc banknotes that we forgot about. Is there any way to cash these in or even give them to a charity? If not, I suppose they wil be useful to light the fire.
    Many thanks (a newcomer to the Forum so please accept my apologies if I have done something wrong):confused:
    Gobbygordon

On the french central bank's website, you'll find all the information on the expired FRF. Go to: www.banque-france.fr Their site is in English as well and gives details and addresses of their branches etc.
    French franc banknotes (the latest series + some of the older ones) are redeemable until 17 february 2012. French coins were no longer accepted after 17 february 2005. The coins is now only worth their scrap metal value. If your FRF banknotes are in good or mint condition, selling them on ebay is definitely a possibility. How many Francs have you got? If it's just a small amount, it's hardly worth going to France to redeem them.
  • gobbygordon
    Options
    many thanks for the help - very useful
  • gobbygordon
    Options
    :T This seems like a very good excuse for a trip to France!
    On the french central bank's website, you'll find all the information on the expired FRF. Go to: www.banque-france.fr Their site is in English as well and gives details and addresses of their branches etc.
    French franc banknotes (the latest series + some of the older ones) are redeemable until 17 february 2012. French coins were no longer accepted after 17 february 2005. The coins is now only worth their scrap metal value. If your FRF banknotes are in good or mint condition, selling them on ebay is definitely a possibility. How many Francs have you got? If it's just a small amount, it's hardly worth going to France to redeem them.
  • armasravi
    armasravi Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I would give them to charity :)
  • Deadline 31/01/2009!
    If you possess the older series of the French 'Delacroix' 100 franc banknote(s), get rid of them immediately as they will only be redeemed by the Central Bank of France (Banque de France) until 31/01/2009. Unless they're in perfect condition from a collector's point of view, they will be worthless. If you still have some of this depicted note, and are going to France in the next couple of days, you can redeem them in a branch of BdF. Alternatively you can mail these notes to the head office in Paris.
    Here a link:
    http://www.banque-france.fr/gb/instit/billets/page1.htm
    france_100_francs_1991_recto.jpg

I went to France three weeks ago and exchanged 2450 french francs into 373.50 euros. I flew with Ryanair to Basel on the Swiss side and then took a train to Mulhouse, half an hour's journey by train.
    Luckily there were no bank strikes on the 28/01. If you possess the depicted above 100 franc banknote, unfortunately now they're worthless, unless they're in pristine condition for collectors.
    Anyway I had 9 of the old 100 francs that expired 31/01/09, so it was in the nick of time.
    Enjoy your trip to France if you haven't already done so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure