Tesco Car - Automatic Premium Renewal

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
10 replies 6.4K views
Geoffo_MGeoffo_M Forumite
1.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
I received my Tesco car insurance renewal today, and was surprised that they had changed from asking me to ring up and renew the policy to one in which, if they didn't hear from me, they would automatically take the payment using the CC I gave them last year.

I don't like this at all. They hadn't asked my permission to change to this automated payments system. I don't like them storing my CC data, and I don't like the idea of having to ring them if I decide to shop around for cheaper insurance.

Anyone else been affected by this?

Replies

• lilac_ladylilac_lady Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think if you pay by credit card you have to cancel the deal with the credit card company, not with the Tesco insurance company. If you don't cancel it will automatically take the payment.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• Pagan98Pagan98 Forumite
    159 Posts
    Yes, a number of insurers started doing this a few years ago - RBS Insurance (Direct Line et al) being one - they introduced a clause in the Terms & Conditions that allow them to take a Continuous Credit Card Authority and take the renewal premium automatically unless challenged. I also object to this, particularly given my aversion to CCCA due to the difficulties in positively cancelling them.
  • MikeyorksMikeyorks Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lilac_lady wrote: »
    I think if you pay by credit card you have to cancel the deal with the credit card company, not with the Tesco insurance company. If you don't cancel it will automatically take the payment.

As post #3 - it's a 'continuous authority'. You can't cancel it with the CC company - you have to do it with the company (in this case Tesco) holding the 'authority'. Sensibly you do it in writing - and avoid entering one if at all possible.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • swanny65swanny65 Forumite
    329 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Budget is another one using automatic renewal. Took me 3 calls to get it removed with written confirmation from Budget.....
  • schizometricschizometric Forumite
    706 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I just rang them up (Tesco) and said I wasnt happy about them renewing it and wanted to go with direct line. Said they'd offered me a quote for 470 (but didnt specify what for ;) it actually didnt include my partner, direct debit monthly, OR breakdown but this is what they gave me for £470!)

So quite chuffed :D saved meself about £150 I think. Just a shame I didnt say £420 really.. :p or £350, but I suppose you cant get ridiculous otherwise they MIGHT check up.

Also, he did say when I renewed it that it will be automatically renewed unless you ring up to cancel. I presume this was the case last year when I paid in a lump sum too. I don't like it but guess it's easy to remember to call them if you're aware of it, once they send the letter out to you.
    2008-2011: £23k of wins :eek:
    2011 best win: my wedding ring :o
    2012 best win so far: iPad 2!!!! Holiday to Austria (given to family member) :j also £100 & 2 wine cases
    Thank you so much, all posters :beer:
  • Geoffo_MGeoffo_M Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I've cancelled my Tesco policy today. They asked why and I told them I didn't like the automatic renewal system. They didn't sound surprised. You're right, there are several operating in this fashion now; I found Barclays, Prudential and Churchill also. In the end, I've moved to Co-op (CIS). They told me they do not operate automatic renewal and do NOT hold on to credit card details. Reasonable quote as well, turned out less than Tesco Value

• raskazzraskazz Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Virtually all insurers are happy for you to opt out of automatic renewal if you request to at inception of the policy.
  • C_RonaldoC_Ronaldo Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why not just phone up before the years insurance is due for renewal
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • anna42hmranna42hmr Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just rang them up (Tesco) and said I wasnt happy about them renewing it and wanted to go with direct line. Said they'd offered me a quote for 470 (but didnt specify what for ;) it actually didnt include my partner, direct debit monthly, OR breakdown but this is what they gave me for £470!)

to be fair, they probably did that as a gesture of good will, rather than because of your threat to move to direct line, as tesco and direct line are all brand names of RBS Insurance (along with churchill, privilege prudential, NIG, UK Insurance, and various other brandings such as virgin insurance etc)
    MFW # 105
    2015 Overpaid £8095 / 2016 Overpaid £6983.24 / 2017 Overpaid £3583.12 / 2018 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2019 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2020 Overpaid £2583.12

2021 Target £2000 / 1,506.82 OP as at July

Total OP since mortgage started in 2015 = £27,917.54
  • Sparky29Sparky29 Forumite
    285 Posts
    I got stung £112 by the AA for road side assistance in the same way. When I took out the policy it had a massive introductory offer but the premium jumped massively the following year. They refused to refund me as I didn't realise that my credit card had been billed until too late :mad: More companies are doing this now. Beware!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides