Next stores open on New Years Day

Does anyone know if most of the Next stores are open on New Years Day?

I phoned up and was initially told by the customer phone line that they were closed but then the woman said they were open (she didn't sound very convincing!).

Comments

• DazzaMc
    DazzaMc Posts: 811 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As far as I know it is illegal for a retail store to be open on new years day!
  • Did you ask if your nearest store is open or ask if Next is open generally - personally I'd think that asking about your local shop should get the answer you want.
    Let's hope they are not open though - it would be nice to see the poor shop workers getting a New Year break like everyone else. They didn't seem to get much of a break at Christmas at my nearest Next - prepare for sales on Christmas Eve and shop open at 5am on Boxing Day for sale.
  • The nearest Next store isn't that close to me and I don't have a car as I commute to work so I just phoned up to ask if the two nearest stores were open tomorrow. I can use my boyfriend's car tomorrow. Couldn't go today as he's been at work. Think I got through to a general helpline rather than the local store (even though I thought I'd phoned the store direct.)
  • I have just phoned them back. The store nearest to me is shut but a smaller and a larger store near-ish to me are open.
  • I thought they should be shut but when i asked in BHS today they are open tomorrow and i live in a little town.

i thought christmas day and new years day were the only days they had to close. apparantly not. next thing we know they will still be open on christmas day.
  • YAZZA_3
    YAZZA_3 Posts: 91 Forumite
    I think it depends where you live. In Scotland stores can be open but not in the UK.
  • n6gers
    n6gers Posts: 121 Forumite
    YAZZA wrote: »
    I think it depends where you live. In Scotland stores can be open but not in the UK.
    is scotland not the uk then ??
  • n6gers wrote: »
    is scotland not the uk then ??

No that's rubbish. Plenty of shops are open in England
  • NOWSE
    NOWSE Posts: 385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Christmas Day and Easter Day (Easter Sunday) are the two days that shops are not allowed to open in England (not sure about the rest of the UK). It wasn't until the mid 1970s that New Years became a bank holiday in England.
  • Argos is open tomorrow
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport