PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Leftover turkey

Options
Had a huge turkey on Christmas day. It has been sliced up and kept in fridge. Is it still ok to eat or should I throw away now? Was planning on making a casserole tomorrow. Also have made a soup from the bones. Can this be left on stove and just reheated tomorrow or am I pushing it?:confused:

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Mice_Elf
    Options
    Make sure you cook it really, really well at high temps. Should be ok if you have good stomachs. We made a curry from our left over turkey today - it's been in the fridge since Christmas Day. I've portioned up a lot and stuck it in the freezer for easy pre-cooked meat.
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oooh I think your pushing your luck a little leaving it on the stove and then reheating.But most food poisoning bacteria is heat sensitive so should be destroyed by reheating thoroughly and I do mean thoroughly.Take it to boiling point and boil it for at least 10 mins to be on the safe side

Lesleyxx
  • TAG
    TAG Posts: 2,823 Forumite
    Options
    Well, we've just had a turkey curry with the last of the leftovers.:think:

If I post on this thread in the morning then we survived.:eek: _pale_
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    We have eaten turkey sandwiches today and OH who has a sensitive tummy is still around [STRIKE]damn[/STRIKE]

I would use up the sliced stuff tomorrow, it may go a bit grey, but give it the sniff test.
    Could you try and squeeze the soup into the fridge....or maybe the freezer, unless your kitchen is really cold.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    *note to self* Check if Tag's light is on tomorrow.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    I ate the last scraps I picked off the carcass of ours this morning before I made stock with it (stock's now in the fridge though) & am still here to tell the tale :)
  • angeleyes
    Options
    i think the 3 day rule applies .... past the 3 days now and still smelt ok so the doggie has had a lovely dinner ,..... all gone now .. I ..(who has been know to eat curry in the morning !!:eek: ) wouldn't chance it
  • blitz
    blitz Posts: 126 Forumite
    Options
    Ive always been told to throw it after 3 days, but all the above are still here after the 3 day rule, but I personally just wouldnt enjoy eating it, & I dont see the point of eating & not enjoying it,plus id spend the rest of the day watching the rest of the family closely all day to see if they turn green:rotfl: , but thats me because i can be a bit of a worrier. Though if a certain SIL happened to pop in wouldnt mind giving her a turkey sandwich:p
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    well I'm up & about & unharmed this morning :)

I always go by the sniff, see & taste test, if it smells fine & looks fine, then I'll taste a bit & if that's ok, then I'll get stuck in
    once it'd passed the tests, couldn't resist picking over the carcass yesterday

love tearing off the last tasty bits & scoffing them on the spot, cook's perk :D
  • TAG
    TAG Posts: 2,823 Forumite
    Options
    :j Yippee :j

Still here :j :j :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts