We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Hastings Direct demand for location data via their app

24

Comments

  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 4,482 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    saintyuk said:
    No, that is not correct.
    A website and an app are totally different, an app is running constantly with potentially far more permissions. 
    But both are online
  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 29 September 2024 at 5:35PM
    An app doesn't run constantly.
    You can turn them off and you can turn the device off as well 

    They are able to collect some data with an app but so can a website. It's why you agree to this on nearly every website you visit.

    A website like a app with location turned on can detect IP addresses, so can actually detect your location down to your house address a lot more easily than an app on a mobile device which without location turned on would at best locate you to the nearest base station.

    If you are at all worried about these things, use a VPN.
  • If you ahem an iPhone, you can set it to share location only while using the app.  I wouldn't risk cancellation that you have to declare pretty much forever just to win an argument.  Hastings has form for cancelling for all sorts of reasons.  I would never ever touch them with a long looooooooong bargepole.
  • When I took out my policy it stated that they collect data for 30 days then you can turn off location permissions etc. I noticed that they were still collecting data the other day so i contacted them and they said they collect it on 30 random days but you can switch to consecutive days. As far as I can remember it didn't state it was random days when i took the policy out. 🤔 🤷‍♀️🙄

  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 27 July at 5:28PM

    I've only just been asked by Hastings to activate this on my phone app, many months after taking out their policy. I often take taxis; I guess I'd better turn my phone off after the cab picks me up, cos although I drive like an old f4r7, I don't want some FI taxi-driver boogering my rep as the safest, slowest driver in the world (I even obey 20 mph limits.lol!)

  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,782 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Using a phone location data as a means to monitor driving style seems very prone to inaccuracies for exactly the reason Alex Mac mentioned - who knows who was driving?

    In any event, if there is no reliable data on location / driving style passed back to the network, that must surely be the result of the individual being ultra responsible and switching the phone off while driving for maximum safety and concentration on the road without distractions.

  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 19,444 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    What about getting high speed train? That really would flag up speed limits!

    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Stereotypes and my own anecdotal observation suggest that the one thing taxi drivers don't do (apart from inside 20mph limits if the BBC are to be believed) is drive quickly!

    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Bendo
    Bendo Posts: 777 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    I've got the same policy. It is perfectly clear what the requirements are and gives multiple prompts and options to decline the cheaper app policy and pay more.

  • Bendo
    Bendo Posts: 777 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Well, you could do that, but the app would know and you would risk having the policy cancelled for not complying with the terms.

    This policy requires the apl to collect data for 1 month. It wont affect your insurance this year and they wont be cancelling the policy based on the data they collect.

    It may affect next year's renewal price possibly but you can always go elsewhere.

    But really, it is very clear what the requirements are when you go through the quote process so it really shouldn't be a shock.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.