We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Star lift options - thoughts?

1235»

Comments

  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,544 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker

    Two years on from my last post and I still don't have a stairlift or a Vela chair for kitchen work. I do have two stair rails, though, which are easier than having one and the original can be removed for a stair lift. Councils can provide rails, door half steps and bath steps and bath lifts, free to all as they come within the cost range. I was refused a bath stool and front door step, a few years ago as the OT man saw me stumble (pre-op) while being helped off the bath lift, saying he was not allowed to supply because of H&S.

    When two OT ladies came to see my husband, after last year's stroke, they said I needed more help than him and sent a colleague to see me. She said I could have an extra stair rail, as I refused the offer of a stair lift which I would have to pay for and I prefer to choose what I buy.

    She said that as I get worse ( as promised by my neurologist) I would find the lift difficult and would need a walk in shower, but I refused that, too, as we like a bath and I have had a dread of showers since my grammar school days, when we were forced slowly through a line of horrid, smelly showers, for which many tried falsifying extra monthlies, but soon were found out when the PE teacher announced her concern that some girls needed to see a doctor urgently.

    Then, from old notes the OT lady said I could not have the door step and bath step, so I showed her how just a 3cm drop looked trivial from a standing position, but hurt on landing. She brought one for me to try and was amazed by how much easier it was, to use, also safe as my husband always helps me in and out of the bath.. She same was the case for a door step, with rail. It saved me from teetering for a while, when stuck on the outer edge of the UPVC door frame. They really should consider what patients suggest, so press your point if they refuse an assumed safety risk.

    Regarding mobility, in general, I remember posting that I felt sorry for people on AA, who the governments , in turn, have told they cannot have help with transport, but are free to spend the money on transport instead of what the money was meant for (So they didn't need anything for daily living help, as a few taxi rides would soon gobble up the allowance ?).

    Well, I said that I was lucky to have my husband about to transport me, but that stopped 18 months ago, when he had a stroke, which he was over in a couple of weeks, excepting for an eye problem, which meant no driving. The hospital was unhelpful, over the sight and I had to request each appointment, including one for a specific interval, that went well overdue. As we live in a hilly part of our city, I was unable to go out, as I can't use a manual wheelchair and though my electric one is speedy and eats up slopes, it would have flat battery, after going up and down and…to town or the hairdressers. All food had to be ordered online and it was common to have something out of stock and having such as steak slices replaced with a fruit tart or ham replaced with cheese, which was elsewhere in the order, so not required twice.

    After our GP tested him with the old pencil with white top method, at 6 months on and said he should pass and later, Specsavers confirmed for me that he passed within the legal limit on their DVLA equipment, but said he'd need to be signed off by the hospital. 3 months to next appointment was 6 months and he was quickly brushed off by again a technician, who said he had very little improvement. He hasn't seen anyone there, since, but had another test for new glasses and passed again, so I made him ring the DVLA with the results and they sent a letter next day, saying he was free to drive. What a relief. I was free to leave my prison, but all those other poor people have to carry on.

    Sorry for the long post, but I have only had my husband and occasionally visiting sister to talk to, for 18 months.+

  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,243 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!

    That’s been quite a journey. I love my walk in shower and so much safer for me than getting in & out of the bath.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan. 13 months left.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.