We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Wrong electoral roll address recorded on my Experian file
My address format is (with address anonymised). 14 Leinster Court, 6 Village Road, Town, postcode. Experian have it recorded as 14 Village Road, Town postcode, which is completely wrong. I have lived here for 13 years and I know it was correct on past Experian credit files but no idea when this changed or why. THe address on my polling cards etc continues to be in the same format as it has always been and I have not registered at another address and this looks like a simple data error.
The question is, how do I update this? Using a notice of correction only seems to add a statement to the report rather than correct the data, and I want them to correct it as I'm applying for a mortgage in the next month to six weeks.
Comments
-
What did Experian say when you contacted them?
Sam Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness:
People are rich because they spend less money. A poor man buys $10 boots that last a season or two before he's walking in wet shoes and has to buy another pair. A rich man buys $50 boots that are made better and give him 10 years of dry feet. The poor man has spent $100 over those 10 years and still has wet feet.
0 -
The_Boss said:The question is, how do I update this? Using a notice of correction only seems to add a statement to the report rather than correct the data, and I want them to correct it as I'm applying for a mortgage in the next month to six weeks.However, if you think other actual personal data we hold about you is inaccurate or incomplete (such as your name or address), you can ask for it to be corrected or completed under your 'right to rectification'. You can contact our customer services team at customerservices@uk.experian.com to do this.https://www.experian.co.uk/privacy/consumer-information-portal/help-faqs/
1 -
I am having the exact same issue. Somehow Experian, and no other CRA, has registered my address as “3 Street Name” instead of “3 Building Name, 15-18 Street Name”
Did you manage to get that fixed and if so how did you do it please?1 -
Hello, yes fixed it ok by contacting Experian about this. There was an online form on their website that I used and they sorted it quicker than I expected if I remember correctly (within a few days).HelloDolly23 said:I am having the exact same issue. Somehow Experian, and no other CRA, has registered my address as “3 Street Name” instead of “3 Building Name, 15-18 Street Name”
Did you manage to get that fixed and if so how did you do it please?
Interested to hear you have the same issue as I did with Experian but not the other CRAs. Guessing this could be a wider issue0 -
It's unlikely an anomaly like this is going to be an issue.
Most systems don't really care about anything other than <Number> <Postcode> (including Royal Mail) as there are too many variations in between to make using exact matching viable.
Someone decides to include a house "name" they've dreamt up that isn't on the systems, someone decided that <Locality> is now <Town> or vice versa. Perhaps they put it in the wrong county (as happens around here a lot.)
If the address match had to be perfect, many credit checks would fail. And given RM only care about number and postcode (as that literally is enough to uniquely identify your house) then I don't imagine lenders systems are any different.0 -
I've just had similar experience.
Perchance I requested credit reports 1 month apart and the electoral roll address had changed. They said it was the councils fault by providing an incorrect mid year update which retrospectively changed my address. If this is affecting many people it could well be causing a lot of problems.Below was my response to them which they ignored and invited me to contact financial ombudsman.
You applied incorrect information to my record and then blamed
the supplier (council).We both know when I requested the same information, I received
the correct information from the council.The new information you claim the council sent you was clearly
questionable as it retrospectively changed my home address. Your
systems didn't check and verify it. This in my mind means Experian
is not a trustworthy custodian of personal information.I'd like to know what happened and what you are doing to ensure
this mistake that likely affected many people won't happen again.1 -
Have you followed the advice given to the OP over a year ago?
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

