We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Frame for glasses not fit for purpose
Comments
-
As it was more than six months since purchase you would need to prove that the frames were inherently faulty and not accidentally damaged or misused.From what you say Specsavers are of the opinion that the glasses have been damaged/misused/abused.Depending on the cost of the glasses going fifty/fifty is probably the pragmatic way to resolve things. Your other options are: prove to Specsavers the damage is due to them being inherently defective or not of sufficient quality; or small claims court for the cost of 9month old glasses.2
-
Rather depends on the reason why the frame broke, I would imagine. Manufacturing fault versus you sitting on them?
And even if the glasses were faulty, there would still be a deduction for the 9 months use you have already had from them. So no, I don’t think you should expect a new pair of glasses free of charge.All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.
Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.2 -
I was seeking advice not criticism. I did not sit on them. The arm came away from the frame. The question was, should I not expect frames to last more than 9 months. I did not want a new pair of glasses. I wanted the frames repaired. My lenses cost upwards of £300 because my eyes are that bad.0
-
The issue you have is proving this.sherron6 said:I was seeking advice not criticism. I did not sit on them. The arm came away from the frame. The question was, should I not expect frames to last more than 9 months. I did not want a new pair of glasses. I wanted the frames repaired. My lenses cost upwards of £300 because my eyes are that bad.
Yes they should last more than 9 months BUT after 6 months it is for you to prove they were faulty
If any retailer just took everyone’s word for it when faced with a broken item, they would be out of business pretty fast.
As already said 50/50 is probably the best you can hope for unless you have evidence of an inherent fault. Now IF the “new” pair does the same again, you might have a chance. Time will tell
I can’t see that anyone has offered criticism directed at you, they have nearly stated their view and your rights2 -
The issue is that unless they still had the same frames in stock, or a repair if that is possible, which often it is not. As seems to be this case.sherron6 said:I was seeking advice not criticism. I did not sit on them. The arm came away from the frame. The question was, should I not expect frames to last more than 9 months. I did not want a new pair of glasses. I wanted the frames repaired. My lenses cost upwards of £300 because my eyes are that bad.
New frames will often not take the lenses unless, either they are the same or they are smaller & they can reglaze the lenses into the frame.
So while yes, frames should last longer (my current ones are over 4 years old) sometimes they do not. I would temper that with it also depends on what the frames are made of.Life in the slow lane1 -
Your thread title is 'Frame for glasses not fit for purpose'.
What did the description of the frames you chose say about purpose and what did you discuss with the optician before you bought them?
Most frames are just for fashion or everyday use. So long as the frames hold the lenses securely and the frame fits to your nose and ears comfortably and keeps the lenses at the correct distance and spacing from your pupils they are fit for purpose.
There are lots of specialist frames made for specific purposes including some made to established standards (such as ASTM F803 for football) but what most of those have in common is that they are chunkier and more expensive than basic ones. If you discussed your specific need with the optician you might have the basis of a claim that they are not fit for purpose.
My experience of the SpecSavers in the small town where I live is that they are always extremely obliging about minor repairs, even to glasses you have bought elsewhere and however ancient they are.
Indeed, Specsavers' website says:
All our glasses and sunglasses come with free servicing for 2 years following purchase of your glasses. Including minor repairs at no extra cost whether purchased in store, online or during a home visit.
Minor repairs includes replacing nose pads, adjusting your frames, tightening loose screws, or simply giving your glasses a thorough clean. There’s no limit to the number of times this service can be used. Simply pop into your local store...The fact that they couldn't do anything with yours at only 8 months old suggests to me that they had been subject to more than ordinary wear and tear.
1 -
I wasn’t criticising. I was pointing out that you had given information that was too limited to be able to give a comprehensive reply including that it was unclear from your initial post how/why the glasses broke.You obviously have all the relevant information. The rest of us don’t unless you tell us because we are not psychic.All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.
Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.5 -
No one has criticised you, you have been given advice and examples of situations.sherron6 said:I was seeking advice not criticism. I did not sit on them. The arm came away from the frame. The question was, should I not expect frames to last more than 9 months. I did not want a new pair of glasses. I wanted the frames repaired. My lenses cost upwards of £300 because my eyes are that bad.1 -
I have worn glasses for forty years and have not had any problems with them. In December 2025 my wife and I bought four pairs of new glasses with spring loaded arms. Three pairs of these glasses have broken on the spring attachment arm round June. I have been told by their Sainsbury's branch in Plymouth that we are using them incorrectly. My arguement is I've never had problems before why Are they now breaking. We are at an impasse. The only thing I can do is wait to see if they break again and return and have another argument with the manager
0 -
Welcome to the forum.
Perhaps you are taking them on and off wrongly? They might not be as sturdy as the ones over the last 40 years.
Or more likely, perhaps the frames are the wrong size for you or the temples (that's what opticians call the arms) need adjusting. Heads come in all shapes and sizes and you might like to gently remind the manager (we never recommend getting into an argument) that the General Optical Council says that the dispensing optician has the duty in law to ensure that they are the right size to fit your head, the temples are correctly adjusted by him so that the lenses are held in the correct spot in front of your eyes and he ensures that you understand how to wear them correctly, including taking them on and off.
I gather they have replaced them once and you are worried they will fail again? If you are using them correctly and they fail again, your right under the Consumer Rights Act is to return them for a refund if you so wish.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
