Door Handles

Options
Need some advice please

Since being in my house in 6 yrs I have had to replace the indoor handles twice already :-/

Can anyone recommend a good make ,the other two sets bvroke easily or the catch wouldn't go in far enough and the doors would have to be forced open :-/

obviously price is a consideration but durability is much more important ,I don't want to have to do them again

any advice please :)

Comments

• trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Somebody must of bought a door handle at some time ::)
  • Ynot_2
    Ynot_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Need some advice please

Since being in my house in 6 yrs I have had to replace the indoor handles twice already  :-/

Can anyone recommend a good make ,the other two sets bvroke easily or the catch wouldn't go in far enough and the doors would have to be forced open :-/

obviously price is a consideration but durability is much more important ,I don't want to have to do them again

any advice please :)
    Here m8, funny you should mention this as I just bought new doors n  handles
    today ;) and my mates a joiner so had asked him
    and he said regarding the catch to make sure that it
    hasnt got a groove in the door catch as this is usually the cheaper ones that stick and get broken..hope that helps m8 :)..and the catch should also be able to move about freely too....a good ironmonger should also supply decent handles etc too..
  • trafalgar_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Sheel,got mine from homebase and they are broken,they were the cheaper ones mind :-/ and the men in this house are heavy handed :D

Thanks Ynot for the tips and welcome to the site :)
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    For interior try solid brass. the heavy sort, a good investment like a decent toilet seat
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • Seamus
    Seamus Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    I've been in my house 6 years and have experienced the same problem. I had to kick in two of my doors causing quite a bit of damage. ( Is your house a Barret house by any chance ??)

Anyway, I ordered replacement mortice locks (the handles were OK) from https://www.screwfix.com. There pretty cheap especiially if you order in volume (which I did since I was replacing 12 door mortices). I'm not sure how good they are though as they look pretty similar to the ones I removed.
  • trafalgar_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've been in my house 6 years and have experienced the same problem.  I had to kick in two of my doors causing quite a bit of  damage.  ( Is your house a Barret house by any chance ??)

Anyway, I ordered replacement mortice locks (the handles were OK) from https://www.screwfix.com.   There pretty cheap especiially if you order in volume (which I did since I was replacing 12 door mortices).  I'm not sure how good they are though as they look pretty similar to the  ones I removed.

It is a barrett house yes lol
    the handles are flipping useless to say the least............I'll check out screwfix,thanks ;D
  • raeble
    raeble Posts: 911 Forumite
    Options
    They don't make stuff to last anymore do they? I haven't got a new home but my home has been the subject of government grants for improvements, which involved stripping out all the original fixtures and fittings in favour of cheap and nasty doors and handles. I'm replacing them with cheap doors but they don't look quite so nasty. Thanks for the tip I was looking for somewhere to get cheap handles and mortices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure