We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

New phone £200-£250 help.

Options

Looking for suggestions for a new Android phone, nothing fancy just reliable, good storage, good battery life and a half decent camera. Budget £200-£250. Is this doable and if so, what would you recommend please. My current phone is a moto g 9 play if that helps.

I choose the rooms that I live in with care,
The windows are small and the walls almost bare,
There's only one bed and there's only one prayer;
I listen all night for your step on the stair.

Comments

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I like my Motorola, it was around £100 a year ago. Something like this one.

• Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    always found Motorola phones to be good value for money.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • outtatune
    outtatune Posts: 552 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I've not actually used this phone, but if I lost my current phone today I'd buy a Moto G84
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CGJGMRTS/?coliid=I1ES975O7EJZ4Q&colid=2HNR3MFJ1NB54&th=1
  • Veteransaver
    Veteransaver Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Seen some good deals on the Samsung A05s, which is supposed to be a decent budget phone.
    Similar specs to some of the Moto models in that price range
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 June at 9:38AM
    Options
    +1 for Motorola.

The g84 is £199, 5g, 256GB, fingerprint sensor on the front, NFC for googlepay, a headphone socket and a compass so the starmap apps work properly.

If you sign up with Motorola for marketing emails before you buy one, they will send a 10% off code, so it would be £180 direct from them, and they include 12 months accidental damage cover on the screen.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • bob2302
    bob2302 Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    About three years ago I was looking for a new phone and considered a Motorola until I saw it only had 2 years of security updates, measured from the model release date. Possible they have improved since then - I don't know.

I do think this is something that people should be giving greater weight to.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bob2302 said:
    About three years ago I was looking for a new phone and considered a Motorola until I saw it only had 2 years of security updates, measured from the model release date. Possible they have improved since then - I don't know.

I do think this is something that people should be giving greater weight to.
    This is solid advice, Motorola still only do 2 years/updates e.g. Android 13-15 and 2 or 3 years of patches

There is an article here with current support life - relevant for OP, Samsung usually do 3 upgrades and 3 years of patches for their mid-range and below though some get 4 upgrades and 5 years of patches

• ryrystelladowens
    Options
    If I were in your situation I'd shop around for refurbished phones from places like amazon renewed or backmarket or musicmagpie. I bought a google pixel that was 2 generations old and received updates for another year for £200. Google pixels and Samsung galaxy phones are good in this regard as they have very long commitments to providing updates. though it depends on the exact model.

support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/4457705?hl=en#zippy=%2Cpixel-a-pixel-pixel-pro%2Cpixel-a-g-pixel-pixel-a-g-pixel-a-pixel-xl-pixel

security.samsungmobile.com/securityPost.smsb

Through this method you may be able to get a nicer built phone for the same price.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure