We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Does my former employer have to tell me who is dealing with the liquidation

Options
A little context, I was made redundant 9 months ago on the day the company closed. My former employer has dragged his feet all this time and even though he had instructed a company to deal with the liquidation on his behalf, he didn’t furnish them with the information they requested or pay them.  
About 2 months ago he admitted that he didn’t have enough money to pay them and was now going with a different company that will deal with processing it on his behalf. Still no progress has been made and false promises are still given week in week out. 
My question is, is he obliged (ideally, legally obliged) to give me their details so I can contact them myself to chase and confirm timeframes? Given that they were supposed to be sending a letter of engagement last week, I can’t see a legitimate reason why I shouldn’t been given their details. My requests just keep getting met with “I’ll ask them if I’m allowed to give them to you”. 

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 11,178 Ambassador
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Not sure why you think you have any rights to know anything about this unless you are still owed pay or need to ensure your pension is safe.  

I wonder if there's any information about anything on Company's House or the Insolvency register?
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,994 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd suggest discussing the matter with ACAS. Who deals with the liquidation is irrelevant.  
  • Shellport
    Shellport Posts: 3 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @Brie because I am owed unpaid wages, holiday pay, redundancy and notice pay.

@Hoenir Due to the time that has past, ACAS have only been able to suggest an employment tribunal. It is outside of their timeframes but they say I can still try and apply but it would solely be for just the redundancy element.  
  • Shellport
    Shellport Posts: 3 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I should’ve also added that there is nothing on companies house or the insolvency register and therefore the company is technically still solvent. 
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 11,178 Ambassador
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Shellport said:

@Hoenir Due to the time that has past, ACAS have only been able to suggest an employment tribunal. It is outside of their timeframes but they say I can still try and apply but it would solely be for just the redundancy element.  
    Oh botheration!  If it's all that pay then maybe you need to contact HMRC as well.  Not only does he owe you but he owes them too.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • LinLui
    LinLui Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Brie said:
    Shellport said:

Oh botheration!  If it's all that pay then maybe you need to contact HMRC as well.  Not only does he owe you but he owes them too.
    And unfortunately,  it is now so far out of their time frame that it's nigh on impossible you'll win,  it will take many months if not more to progress to a tribunal,  and by the time all that is finished,  you MIGHT see a penny - but not from the employer. You waited nine months too long. 
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,994 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Shellport said:
    I should’ve also added that there is nothing on companies house or the insolvency register and therefore the company is technically still solvent. 
    To be a managed liquidation the company has to be solvent. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback