We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Lifetime Will Services

Options
Hi everyone,
We have just had our mirror wills done with WSL will writing, it was a great service. as part of their "add ons" we purchased their lifetime will service, a one off fee of about £1500. This includes:

Executor consultion and support
secure storage for life
unlimited will updates for life
validity check
register with the national will register
unlimited retrievals and deposits for life
discount on over services

Does this seem like good value? We are in a 14 day cooling off period, I know other will companies provide will storage and charge yearly for it, we are young so a one off fee for life seems good.

Thanks

Comments

• plasticprinter
    Options
    Leaving a comment as my post keeps disappearing!

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Use the cooling off option.

You can lodge the will with HM Courts and Tribunal Service for a one off fee of £22. They send a receipt number which allows the will to be retired at any time, by the donor or executor.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    £1500???  Get your money back quick, there is no need to pay such huge sums for these options.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • RAS
    edited 23 May at 5:51PM
    Options
    By the way, how much did you pay for mirror wills?

And how many of the options did you choose? Given that a simple section in a will provides the other spouse with the right of residence until their death, and creates a life interest (IPDI) trust which protect assets for the benefit of your beneficiaries whilst ensuring property protection?  Provided of course that the property is held as tenants in common?
  • plasticprinter
    Options
    We paid £130 for our mirror will, but got a discount as a member of a charity, usually £230. I believe that if you want to amend your will, you would need to pay to rewrite your will  (so £100-£200 each time) so of the course of a lifetime, £1500 doesn't seem so bad.
  • plasticprinter
    Options
    To answer your other questions RAS, i'm not sure, we had a zoom call and they filled everything in for us, none of the terms you mentioned came up.
  • RAS
    Options
    We paid £130 for our mirror will, but got a discount as a member of a charity, usually £230. I believe that if you want to amend your will, you would need to pay to rewrite your will  (so £100-£200 each time) so of the course of a lifetime, £1500 doesn't seem so bad.
    OK, you should have two wills if they are mirror wills. WSL seem to offer a standard £175 price for mirror wills discounted from £215. 
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How can you be sure that WSL will even exist when you next want to update your will?  I'd walk away now (and employ a 'real' solicitor next time).
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • kipsterno1
    kipsterno1 Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another vote for activating the cooling off period.

• kipsterno1
    kipsterno1 Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our mirror wills cost £250 from a local solicitor. They are stored by them for free, we have copies. Looking back at our life's there are probably three events that would have caused us to change our wills. Looking forward the only possible changes would be on death of one of us or (less likely) divorce. Based on that we are £500 up on those charges. Any minor changes we could do via codicil.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure