We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

House left in Trust to my daughter

Options
I have left my house in Trust to my daughter. My partner is allowed to live there until he dies. Will my daughter have the right to inspect the house while he is living there?

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I presume this means you have left the house in trust via your will to your daughter? Much will depend on what is stipulated about maintenance of the property, who pays for what, access etc etc - what if partner wants / needs to move to a more appropriate property eg single level? what id partner has someone else move in?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,982 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It will be his home so no one has a right to enter without his permission.

You say partner, are you married or in a civil partnership? If not this sort of arrangement is not so beneficial when it comes to IHT because there is no spousal exemption available and IHT could be payable on your death.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure