We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

British Gas revised bill

Options
pippy1971
pippy1971 Posts: 146 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 22 May at 2:00PM in Energy
Has anyone else received a revised bill from British Gas?  My last bill from them was dated 6th December and I usually get them quarterly.   

I logged on in March expecting my bill and saw there was no bill available, but I had gone from £56 in credit to £3,612 in credit. I asked them for a bill and they came up with various excuses about 'system glitches' but finally got one on 14th of May.  All of the credit has gone and I am now £391.22 in debt.  The statement has revised all of the billing periods since December 2022 to date, with £4,290 of charges for the period.

I have no way of checking this as the as the bills visible to me do not go back that far.  No reason for this revision has been given.  

Comments

• BarelySentientAI
    BarelySentientAI Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    pippy1971 said:
    Has anyone else received a revised bill from British Gas?  
    Almost everyone.  They're changing back-office systems.

pippy1971 said:

I logged on in March expecting my bill and saw there was no bill available, but I had gone from £56 in credit to £3,612 in credit. I asked them for a bill and they came up with various excuses about 'system glitches' but finally got one on 14th of May.  All of the credit has gone and I am now £391.22 in debt.  The statement has revised all of the billing periods since December 2022 to date, with £4,290 of charges for the period.

So about £400 of 'use above DD' through winter & spring.  Sounds legit.

What do you think it should be?
  • pippy1971
    pippy1971 Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was expecting it be lower as during this time I have changed to an electric vehicle tariff that means any electricity I use overnight, not just for charging my car, is at a much reduced rate.  So all of our washing, drying, dishwashing, charging mobiles, our cars etc has been done during those hours and was previously done at a standard, much higher flat rate.  I also made a complaint about British Gas regarding my gas usage where it was upheld by the ombudsman that I had been overcharged.  This was during a time where I had reported a faulty meter and British Gas had estimated how much gas I used in the period it was faulty for.  So, I am using much less gas than they had been estimating but have not reduced my DD. 

Also, I don't think having a new system makes it necessary to re-state energy costs from December 2022. 
  • BarelySentientAI
    BarelySentientAI Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    pippy1971 said:

Also, I don't think having a new system makes it necessary to re-state energy costs from December 2022. 
    It shouldn't have, if it was well organised, but as you will notice from the tens of threads on here about exactly this issue, it does.  And sometimes from longer ago than that (I think someone has it from 5 years ago).

Difficult to prove it's wrong or challenge it if you've not kept any old readings or bills though.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure