We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Pay in full (Not Sainsbury's!)

Options
took out Zero % CC in 2022 due march 2024, forgot to pay off, Incurred full Intrest charge (my fault) paid off in full Apr 2024, now just recieved latest statement, incurred full Intrest (again), customer support tell me  that I have to pay in full for 2 consecutive months to prevent intrest charges, so if I pay the 2nd Intrest charge, I'll be OK. I've had a credit card for over 45 years, missed the odd payment over the years, never encountered this 2 month rule before, won't again!? Anybody else encountered this ?

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 May at 1:06PM
    Options
    How you've phrased it is a bit odd - normally when you make a partial payment on a CC you get charged the interest on the full balance, not just the bit left over which catches some people out. Due to this, even when you clear it, there is always trailing interest (not full interest?) which means you need to pay the balance in full the next month as well (to clear the interest) and then a second month just in case there is anything left.

The 2 month rule though yes is the way pretty much every card works

How much after the due date did you pay the card off? It's possible the balance was then on the next statement meaning more interest e.g. due March 1st, statement created March 7th, you paid April so therefore had the interest from prior to March and then again on the March statement
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's normal. Put a note in your diary next time 
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 15,104 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yep, trailing interest between when you paid & when transaction were made.
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport