We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Accidentally left dashcam in lease car

Options
NibblyPig
NibblyPig Posts: 209 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I leased a car and left my dashcam in it stuck to the windscreen. It's a tiny thing behind the rear view mirror, so I didn't notice it and neither did the inspector.

BCA were the company that collected the car. I e-mailed them literally an hour after the inspection about it, and then sent them 6 more e-mails to various addresses. Some of them replied saying you need customer services and forwarded/cc'd me into them.

However they haven't replied. It has been 2 weeks.

I don't know what to do to escalate it. Surely they have a procedure for this, even if I have to pay shipping or come and collect it from their offices. I don't know how to escalate it because I can't see a complaints procedure and when I googled it and tried to raise a complaint someone responded saying they can't do anything as I e-mailed the wrong department or something.

They must be a member of certain bodies, it looks like they're part of some auctioneering ones which require a complaints procedure, but I honestly don't know what to do.

Any ideas? I'd like my dashcam back, it cost me about 60 quid I think plus the micro sd card was another 10 or 15.

Comments

• Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 414 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    For £60-70, chalk it up to experience and move on.

Nobody you'll be able to speak to has even seen your car.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,490 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The buyer of an ex lease car is going to get a free dash cam. Every cloud and all that.
  • WellKnownSid
    WellKnownSid Posts: 1,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The buyer of an ex lease car is going to get a free dash cam. Every cloud and all that.
    Actually, it will have been pocketed by the technician checking the car over before it goes out onto the forecourt.
  • NibblyPig
    NibblyPig Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I get that the camera is gone but surely having contacted them literally the same day they have some duty to return it?
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    NibblyPig said:
    I get that the camera is gone but surely having contacted them literally the same day they have some duty to return it?
    You contacted them by email, it could be 2-3 business days before an email is looked at by which point the car is likely gone. 
  • Betterthanlife
    Betterthanlife Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    NibblyPig said:
    You contacted them by email, it could be 2-3 business days before an email is looked at by which point the car is likely gone. 
    Exactly, one company car I had was collected from work and the guy said he was driving it straight to the auction, probably sold that day. 
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    NibblyPig said:
    Think you need to accept that it was your mistake and the camera is long gone
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure