We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

UC/Council Tax

Options
Had a relationship breakdown in April were partner left for good he then come back a week later. He then left again on the 2nd May and has not come back he texted  saying its over. I have applied for UC on 17th May and been told I will get payment on 19th June.

Council tax was fully paid on 1st May I applied for council tax benefit on 18th May and mentioned that I have applied for UC on 17th May. The council have not come back to me yet about the council tax benefit application. If they don't get back to me by the 1st June does that mean I will have to pay the full amount of the council tax ?

I'm just really confused and don't understand.

Comments

• HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    hatton12 said:
    Had a relationship breakdown in April were partner left for good he then come back a week later. He then left again on the 2nd May and has not come back he texted  saying its over. I have applied for UC on 17th May and been told I will get payment on 19th June.

Council tax was fully paid on 1st May I applied for council tax benefit on 18th May and mentioned that I have applied for UC on 17th May. The council have not come back to me yet about the council tax benefit application. If they don't get back to me by the 1st June does that mean I will have to pay the full amount of the council tax ?

I'm just really confused and don't understand.
    I expect any council tax reduction will take a while.
    If it's not sorted by next payment date then contract the income department of the council and ask for payments to be put on how until a decision is made about your entitlement.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • funny_bones
    funny_bones Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Councils will have a delay in processing claims. However, I would ask for an email from them confirming they’ve received your claim submitted on 18/5/24.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure