PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Proving dough

Options

Comments

• nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options
    Old_Joe wrote: »
    Try as I can when putting the bread dough in a tin I cannot get the loaf to finish cooking level as a bought loaf.
    Is there any secret to achieving this I wonder?

Cooking level as in a flat top? If so there is a secret, its pullman tins which have fairly square sides and a lid. A cheat method is to second rise your dough in a standard loaf tin with a baking sheet and weight on top.

If its a conventional crown loaf that's coming out uneven then its probably down to uneven heating in your oven. Try changing the orientation of your loaf tins and see if this helps even the rise out. You could also try preheating the oven for longer, I know mine indicates its at temperature (the light goes out) while most of the oven is still 20-25 degrees below what the dial is set at - an oven thermometer is a worthwhile investment.
    HTH
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nuatha wrote: »
    A cheat method is to second rise your dough in a standard loaf tin with a baking sheet and weight on top.

I'd love to get some pullman tins but they are very expensive :eek: I've never thought to do it this way though - would you cook the bread with the baking sheet on too?
  • mumtosix
    mumtosix Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    Think I've made a bit of a boob! I made some dough for rolls (for dinner tonight) in my bread maker which will be ready in about 20mins. I've obviously put on too late! They will then need to shaped & left to rise for about 25mins! The thing is I need to take my son to school & then I stay & help for the afternoon, so I won't be back home til 3.30ish! Will they be ok under my tea towel til then? I'll cook them as soon as I get in!
  • stiltwalker
    stiltwalker Posts: 1,319 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you leave them out in this warm they will over rise but if you can put the tray in the fridge they should be ok, they will rise slower in there.
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Of course they will. Leave them to rise somewhere warm as usual and then pop them in the fridge before you go out. Bread dough isn't that delicate that a delay before baking will ruin them.
  • mumtosix
    mumtosix Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you! I'll stick them in the fridge before I go out! Never thought if that!
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ive merged this with our proving dough thread :)

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• chrisfreelander54
    Options
    Hello O/Sers.

As the title says I need some help.

I have recently started to make my own bread, but as im on nights this week I don't have time to make any, due to working 12 hour shifts.

What I would like to know is, if I prepare the dough in advance ca.n it be stored in the fridge untill I wake up then bake it?

If so is there a certain method to follow, for example do I make the dough then put it in the fridge before proving?

Regards
    Chris.
    YNAB is my new best friend. :)
  • purpledonkey
    purpledonkey Posts: 6,997 Forumite
    Options
    :wave: that's what I would do; make and knead the dough, put in a bowl sparsely covered with oil (oil optional) and cover (not tightly as it will need room), leave to prove overnight/day in the fridge (proves slower and develops more flavour), then when you get back from work shape the dough and leave to rise for another hour at room temperature before you bake.

Hope that helps! :)
    'I solemnly swear that I am up to no good'
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, you can prove in the fridge, it really does make fantastic bread, it improves the flavour and crust no end.

You can either make it really early, do the first prove, shape it, then put it back in the fridge over-night, or you can make it, put it in the fridge and let it prove overnight, then knock it back and shape it and leave it at room temperature for the second prove. But if you do it the second way it takes a long time to rise again because the dough is cold, more like 2 hours.

Some people, when fridge proving only do the one prove, so make it, shape it, leave it in the fridge, cook it.

If you google 'retarding bread' you'll get some ideas.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure