We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

my father's will.

Options
I am not getting very far with receiving my father's will.

I can provide my Birth Certificate and Passport details to prove who I am as I am,  the sole beneficiary as stated in the will.

I do not have client’s ID /Passport copy and Death Certificate as he lived in Thailand and I doubt his third wife would give it to me anyway I am the rightful heir not her.

I live in the UK, my father remarried and died in Thailand and the will is is South Africa.

I look forward to your reply.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,205 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 May at 8:44PM
    Options
    How do you mean, you are the rightful heir? 
    Was the will made before or after his marriage because in some jurisdictions unless made in anticipation of marriage getting married will invalidate a will. 

Is it not possible to get a copy of the death certificate directly from whichever office it was registered with?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 13,081 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    In the UK, a will would be released to the executor, not the beneficiaries  (they may be the same, but not necessarily)
  • Saffagal
    Saffagal Posts: 684 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss, but you've not given enough information to answer here.

Do you mean you're not getting far with receiving the actual will? Or receiving the inheritance from the will?

Who has the will at the moment? A death certificate will be required before an application can be made by the executor to handle probate and execute the will - did your dad nominate an executor? .  Did your dad still have assets in South Africa? 

If the will was made in SA, it will need to be executed in SA in line with SA laws; the fact that you live in the UK is entirely irrelevant here.  If your dad had assets in Thailand, these may fall outside of his SA will and may need to be dealt with in Thailand. 
    In terms of receiving an inheritance from SA whilst living in the UK; this is entirely possible once the correct channels have been followed. 

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 17,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Where are your father’s assets located? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business