PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Clean Drawers!

Options
This is not a comment on my underthings, but the fact that at long last I have cleaned out my food drawers. Two things accelerated this project.  First, a few weeks ago found evidence of moth in some bread flour. This comes from a mill local to my parents.  Mercifully I haven't found any sign of them in the actual drawer. That sack of flour is all gone now.  Second, something went down the back and the drawer wouldn't close, so needed to empty it to be able to lift it out. 

Top one is herbs and spices mostly. Middle is baking stuff, choc chips, nuts, dried fruit etc etc. Bottom is different kinds of flours, bread flour weighed out ready for use.  

Well you know how it is!  WTAF did I purchase this item for? Why did I buy that? HOW old is that?  Needless to say I have thrown a few things away.  

Why did I get Sorghum flour? Potato starch?  Psyllium husk? No doubt for some recipe or other. I do quite a bit of grain free cooking, as most of them bother me.  

Any ideas what I can do with these? I will check in later with any more finds. 

[SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
Trying not to waste food!:j
ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,579 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Unless things were in plastic bags or glass jars to protect them from moths and larvae I'd be chucking the lot.  Only alternative may be to put them in the freezer for at least 24 hours to ensure you don't come across any wigglers.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It was some time ago, everything is in sealed plastic bags or Lock n lock tubs.  I learned that about 30 years ago!  It was flour mites at that time. Putting them in the freezer doesn't get rid of them. May prevent them multiplying, but they will still be there (**makes gagging noise!**)
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
  • purpleivy
    Options
    I wonder if it was recipes from 'The Gluten Free Alchemist'?  **Shufffles off to look"

• goldfinches
    goldfinches Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I've mostly seen recipes using sorghum flour on this site Recipes - Honeybuns and potato starch pops up in lots of sweet and savoury dishes especially eastern european influenced ones.

"Only the most pleasant characters in this book are portraits of living people and the events here recorded unfortunately never took place"

The Tiger In The Smoke
    by
    Margery Allingham
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I use potato starch to thicken the sauce of stews cooked in the slow cooker.  (There’s no science behind my method, I just add a couple of tablespoons, stir and hope it works.)

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 4 spent.

4 coupons - 200g Caithness Yarns DK Sedge
  • CapricornLass
    CapricornLass Posts: 678 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Use psyllium husk in gluten free breads.  You don't need too much - an ounce or so, but it helps to keep the bread together and adds roughage.  If you google Becky Excell, she does excellent G/F recipes, including breads, and psyllium husk is always included in the list of ingredients.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Plastic yoghurt pots. Make a hole in the bottom, add twine to be able to hang it on a branch. Melt lard, stir in flour and seeds. Pour into yoghurt pots before cold. Let them go cold then put in plastic bags in freezer. Come winter you can hang them up in your garden, for the birds. 😉 
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,348 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Psyllium husk - great for constipation. Whilst I can't claim to have any in my cupboard, I'd be hanging onto it for that purpose alone.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • purpleivy
    Options
    I've mostly seen recipes using sorghum flour on this site Recipes - Honeybuns and potato starch pops up in lots of sweet and savoury dishes especially eastern european influenced ones.
    I have managed to buy a Honeybuns recipe book second hand!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family