We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Convert an eBay return label to print on a thermal label printer

Options
Does anyone know how to do this?, the return label pdf is set up for an A4 printer and I would like to print it off using my thermal label printer, any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,397 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anyone know how to do this?, the return label pdf is set up for an A4 printer and I would like to print it off using my thermal label printer, any advice would be appreciated.
    I just change my printer settings to my Zebra printer ( I also have a Canon printer) and choose 6x4 label size..
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • EffieTrinketsWig
    EffieTrinketsWig Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    soolin said:
    I just change my printer settings to my Zebra printer ( I also have a Canon printer) and choose 6x4 label size..
    Unfortunately I tried that for my printer but the actual pdf has the labels horizontal on each page.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,397 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin said:
    Unfortunately I tried that for my printer but the actual pdf has the labels horizontal on each page.
    I'm not at all techie, but does changing it from landscape to portrait help? 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • EffieTrinketsWig
    Options
    soolin said:
    soolin said:
    I'm not at all techie, but does changing it from landscape to portrait help? 
    It doesn't help, the pdf supplied by eBay has 2 pages, 1 has the label and 1 has the return slip, both of them are landscape orientated on each of the pages, and are designed to be printed on an A4 sheet each, thank for your help anyway.
  • GadgetGuru
    GadgetGuru Posts: 669 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 22 May at 11:06AM
    Options
    soolin said:

I do exactly the same. 

On the create label page look to the lower right (under the address details etc) for the current label format and click CHANGE to set to the 4x6 format (mine is also on PDF). This is the only setting you need to change on eBay. 

If it is already set to the 4x6 format, then I suggest you look at your label printer driver, or create a new default preset with slightly modified margins. 
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,241 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The latest version of Firefox allows you to edit pdf documents within the browser

The examples given do not include what you need, but it may be possible to crop, resize, etc..  Might be worth a try.

• EffieTrinketsWig
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions even if they weren't a soution to my particular problem.

In case anyone else experiences this problem I will detail my eventual, if not somewhat convoluted solution.

I did a search online and found a website that allowed me to extract JPG images from the uploaded PDF for free, there are a few websites I tried but despite claiming they were free they effectively hold your extracted images hostage until you paid a fee to download them, which they didn't disclose until you extracted them, no mention of it on the site prior to the files being extracted, so a bit of a scam and I was not going to give them payment details, but there are genuine websites out there as I eventually found after the third try.

I then cropped the image within the JPG and then changed the orientation of it from horizontal to vertical, I saved it in Paint then printed it.

Just a short moan, you would think given the number of people with label printers and that eBay are capable of generating postage labels for these that they would be able to offer a return label in the same format as well as A4.
  • Jerry_Cornelius
    Jerry_Cornelius Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It doesn't help, the pdf supplied by eBay has 2 pages, 1 has the label and 1 has the return slip, both of them are landscape orientated on each of the pages, and are designed to be printed on an A4 sheet each, thank for your help anyway.

I assume you mean they dont take up the full page? So the A4 is portrait, but the labels are landscape as it were?

You could get a good size clear view of each label and use the snipping tool to copy and paste into something else like a Word program if you have one - the word doc could be set to 4x6, insert the image and rotate and fill to the doc size.

Someone on here (including me) might be able to have a go at it for you if you wanted ...

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure