🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

LG washing machine - turbowash 30C vs Cottons 30C

Options
waqasahmed
waqasahmed Posts: 1,938 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 19 May at 12:58PM in Energy
I have an LG F6V1110WTSA washing machine 

Conventional wisdom = the longer the washing machine takes, the cheaper it is to run

I have however noticed that Turbowash shows me 1 lightning star vs Cottons, 30C which shows me 3 lightning stars 

Might this be due to how turbo wash actually works? Ie:high pressure jets?

https://www.lg.com/uk/lg-experience/helpful-hints/energy-efficient-washing-machines/

This is specifically What LG say

Would Turbowash then be the better way to go? It's certainly be easier for TOU tariffs where I could put it on, wait 40 minutes and pop the laundry straight into the tumble dryer 

Comments

• BarelySentientAI
    BarelySentientAI Posts: 940 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Conventional wisdom = the longer the washing machine takes, the cheaper it is to run

Really?  That sounds a little blunt and immediately would strike me as not true as a general statement.
  • waqasahmed
    Options

Really?  That sounds a little blunt and immediately would strike me as not true as a general statement.
    Well it's typically the case before ie: you've got time to soak clothes and stuff like that 
  • BarelySentientAI
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Well it's typically the case before ie: you've got time to soak clothes and stuff like that 
    The 'eco' cycles are often expected to be longer and cheaper than the comparable 'standard' cycle - but I don't think many people ever expected them to be cheaper than the quick-wash settings (which is effectively what you're using).
  • waqasahmed
    edited 19 May at 4:28PM
    Options

The 'eco' cycles are often expected to be longer and cheaper than the comparable 'standard' cycle - but I don't think many people ever expected them to be cheaper than the quick-wash settings (which is effectively what you're using).
    Tbf in other washing machines, they have actually been cheaper than the quick wash, and it's something that the manufacturer confirmed when I had an issue and thought I'd ask them that too.

Turbo washing is different to a quick wash given the high pressure jets

https://www.reddit.com/r/Appliances/comments/yd0n4c/comment/itqa0zw/
  • BarelySentientAI
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Tbf in other washing machines, they have actually been cheaper than the quick wash, and it's something that the manufacturer confirmed when I had an issue and thought I'd ask them that too.

Turbo washing is different to a quick wash given the high pressure jets 
    Turbo washing, according to your manual, is also restricted to less than half of a load (by weight) on the quick 39 minute cycle, but selectable as a function on the normal cottons cycle up to the full machine capacity.

So yes, the difference is that the Turbowash 39 cycle is a quick wash cycle.

Likely to use less electricity because it's shorter (although most of the energy savings of a cycle is reducing water heating), but doesn't seem to be listed in the water consumption table.
  • bob2302
    bob2302 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 May at 4:27PM
    Options
    On a warm wash most  energy is used to heat the water,the length of the wash makes little difference. 

Eco 40-60 is an EU standardized wash that adapts to the load, and it adjusts the temperature and time accordingly. The displayed time is just a worst case scenario, in practice I find that my Bosch take the same time  on the eco setting as an ordinary cotton wash.

I find it's typically a cold wash using less than 0.2 kWh, but if I overload it, it can use about 0.7 kWh - probably a 30C wash. The common advice to put in as much as possible is counterproductive.

I would recommend actually measuring the energy on different programmes over several loads - you can't trust what the manufactures say.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 May at 9:19AM
    Options
    TBH the only way to find out is to monitor the power consumption either with a plug-in power monitor (like these ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/plug-power-monitor/s?k=plug+in+power+monitor ) or something like a Tapo power monitor plug like this ( https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1488315 )

I've got both but Tapo plug gives you the facility to log and graph consumption over a period, so that's what I use as you can see what is happening over time which makes it easier to compare the consumption when using different programmes like this https://www.tapo.com/en/faq/239/

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport