We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Travelling abroad soon - how can i use banking apps to withdraw cash and monitor card spend?

Options
Will be travelling soon outside UK/Europe.

I've got some travel credit cards e.g. Barclaycard, Clarity and well Chase Debit...

I want to know when i arrive whether i can just stick the card in an ATM and just withdraw cash?

Secondly, as I have apps tied to the cards, will i be able to login and monitor spending on them? I will likely be using a foreign sim card, so if I use that the app will probably not recognise me. How do you go about this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,340 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a clarity card , always free to withdraw but the ATM may charge ( Lanzarote for example, ALL ATMs now charge at least €1.80 ) , withdraw without "local conversion" to get the best rate. 

I can see spending on the Halifax app almost instantly 

Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    All yours cards should work but do check if the bank requires you to notify them of overseas usage.

If you use your credit card to withdraw cash then you may be charged a cash advance fee even if normal use is free.

Although your banks may not charge there could be a local fee at the ATM which you cannot avoid.

Whatever you do, DO NOT ACCEPT DYNAMIC CURRENCY CONVERSION anywhere.

I have no issues using my banking apps when connected to WiFi or 4G data in Thailand via my local SIM, the only issue comes when an SMS to your registered UK number is sent to authorise a transaction but as I have a dual SIM phone all I need to do is make the UK SIM active temporarily.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 May at 1:36PM
    Options
    I want to know when i arrive whether i can just stick the card in an ATM and just withdraw cash?

Secondly, as I have apps tied to the cards, will i be able to login and monitor spending on them? I will likely be using a foreign sim card, so if I use that the app will probably not recognise me. How do you go about this?

You can. Always select 'Without Conversion' if the ATM offers a rate to convert from GBP. In some countries an ATM may charge a fee for using a foreign card, such as ~£5 in Thailand.
    Banking apps (or any other) will recognise you as usual regardless of the SIM or WiFi you are using to connect.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • jungleboy123
    jungleboy123 Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ayr_Rage said:
    All yours cards should work but do check if the bank requires you to notify them of overseas usage.

If you use your credit card to withdraw cash then you may be charged a cash advance fee even if normal use is free.

Although your banks may not charge there could be a local fee at the ATM which you cannot avoid.

Whatever you do, DO NOT ACCEPT DYNAMIC CURRENCY CONVERSION anywhere.

I have no issues using my banking apps when connected to WiFi or 4G data in Thailand via my local SIM, the only issue comes when an SMS to your registered UK number is sent to authorise a transaction but as I have a dual SIM phone all I need to do is make the UK SIM active temporarily.
    Are you charged for inbound sms? I always turn my UK sim off abroad.
  • Ayr_Rage
    Options
    @jungleboy123 SMS messages are free to receive, just make sure data roaming is off when you turn your phone on and don't answer any incoming calls.
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    edited 19 May at 3:00PM
    Options
    you are not charged for inbound sms

banking apps use data (not much) so you will use data at a cost depending on your plan abroad per mb - or use wifi
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,996 Forumite
    Options
    Ayr_Rage said:

Banks haven't required this for years, at least a decade.

Personally I avoid using Cash wherever possible abroad. Where are you travelling to, as unless it is somewhere with a high risk to card fraud it is likely to be far safer than carrying cash.

Depending where you are going, some debit cards will give free ATM access if you do need cash.

Using fee free travel credit cards whether directly or via Apple pay / Google pay is the best option paying in local currency. Following that are fee free debit cards if they also give the spot rate.

As for banking apps. Thankfully most do not use insecure SMS One time passwords any more (if they do, change bank). You can use your banking app via wifi or a local sim to be able to monitor them which outside of the country.
  • jungleboy123
    jungleboy123 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    400ixl said:
    Ayr_Rage said:

Banks haven't required this for years, at least a decade.

Personally I avoid using Cash wherever possible abroad. Where are you travelling to, as unless it is somewhere with a high risk to card fraud it is likely to be far safer than carrying cash.

Depending where you are going, some debit cards will give free ATM access if you do need cash.

Using fee free travel credit cards whether directly or via Apple pay / Google pay is the best option paying in local currency. Following that are fee free debit cards if they also give the spot rate.

As for banking apps. Thankfully most do not use insecure SMS One time passwords any more (if they do, change bank). You can use your banking app via wifi or a local sim to be able to monitor them which outside of the country.
    I am not taking out too much cash, i will be paying by card where possible, hence bringing the credit cards. There are still some places such as street food, restaurants and accommodation who still accept cash only...
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,996 Forumite
    Options
    That sounds reasonable then. Have a nice time.
  • Ayr_Rage
    Options
    @400ixl regarding notification of overseas use, you are incorrect.

This is the screenshot from Santander today.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure