We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

USB Ethernet adapter - can't connect with it

Options
roytom2
roytom2 Posts: 126 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 17 May at 4:40PM in Techie Stuff
My Windows 11 laptop doesn't have an RJ45 socket so I bought online a cheap USB RJ45 adapter. When plugged into a USB port it's led light illuminates and shows up in Device Manager as "Corechip SR9900 USB2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapter" but if I plug in an RJ45 cable to it that's connected to my router nothing shows up in Network & internet > Ethernet shows Not Connected.
I wanted to directly access a spare router to be used as a wifi extender and this needs the settings changing using a wired connection.
I have tried locating newer drivers for it but Windows 11 says the current driver installed is the latest. The adapter is USB108YS
Any ideas? Have I bought a duff adapter?
Thanks for reading

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you tried another ethernet cable just in case its an old style cross cable or such
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 3,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Are there lights on the USB adapter where you plug in the ethernet cable? Do they light up and start flashing?
  • roytom2
    roytom2 Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have tried other Ethernet cables without anything showing up
    When the adapter is plugged into the computer a red light glows in it but nothing else happens when the Ethernet cable is plugged into it - the red light just continues to glow but doesn't flash.
  • gefnew
    gefnew Posts: 889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 May at 8:28AM
    Options
  • Jim431
    Jim431 Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe try a Ethernet Crossover Cable ???

In a crossover cable, as opposed to a "straight through" cable, the transmit (TX) pin on one end of the cable has been connected to the receive (RX) pin. In other words, the signal traveling from one pin to another crosses over from the transmission and reception pins and vice versa.

Why? Because this allows two devices connected by Ethernet to talk directly to each other without needing a network switch, hub, or router between them. If you connect a straight-through cable to two host devices (such as two PCs) then both devices will try to transmit data packets on the same wire, and both will be listening on the same wire, so no actual data will make it through either way.

Source: https://www.howtogeek.com/874751/what-is-an-ethernet-crossover-cable-and-when-should-you-use-one/

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,294 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you got anything else with an Ethernet port which you could plug in to test the cable & router connection?
    Have you tried another port in the router (some have a specific role assigned to a port, eg. my Zen router has port 0 assigned to connect to the fibre connection's wall box).
  • Vitor
    Vitor Posts: 67 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 May at 12:02PM
    Options
    Try running the network trouble-shooter in Windows 11 -

• bob2302
    bob2302 Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jim431 said:
    Maybe try a Ethernet Crossover Cable ???

That hasn't mattered for decades - they just work it out.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is the usb 2 port powered rated, I've used similar Adaptor albeit via Kensington Dock to USB-C Laptop.
    Has the usb port been used for any other Devices, is USB seen via Device Manager- Bottom 2 usb options.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure