PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

New Build Exchange Date

Options
Hi all

apologies this is the first time I am buying and selling, but just wanted to ask about exchange. 

I am buying a new build which gives me 6 weeks from reservation to exchange. Whilst my solicitor will be ready within this time frame, the buyers for my house have not had their mortgage approved yet. My buyers are waiting for a letter from HMRC which then needs to go to underwriters so I can’t see that being sorted in time but hopefully I’m wrong! 

I don’t feel comfortable exchanging on the new build without exchanging on my sale, especially without a mortgage in place from the buyers. Is this common on a new build? Or has anyone had any luck pushing the exchange date back on a new build? I’m waiting for the developer to come back to me but I haven’t heard yet and it’s stressing me out! 
Mortgage Start £185,995 (Aug 21)
Mortgage Balance: £147,750 (Dec 22)

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,769 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    yes this happens on new builds and then they expect the whole train to wait around until the developers are ready to complete. 

You musn't exhange without the buyers exhanging too 
  • secla
    secla Posts: 321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its how all new builds tend to work these days, ok for first time buyers but pretty terrible for anyone having to sell and move. Dont exchange and the builder will probably re-market but exchanging before your buyer has will put you on the hook for massive expenses if it all go`s wrong.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Or has anyone had any luck pushing the exchange date back on a new build? I’m waiting for the developer to come back to me but I haven’t heard yet and it’s stressing me out! 

Hopefully the 6 weeks is really just a target, and they will be expecting some delays and will live with them to a point. It depends on how well sales are going for the development, if they are a bit slow then unlikely they will push you too hard.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure