We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Loan before remortgage

Options
StevenGude
StevenGude Posts: 120 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
Hi
We are wanting a conservatory this summer and plan was to take additional on our mortgage to pay for it. However mortgage fix rate expires in Nov and I want to change lenders so I don't want to tie myself in with additional borrowing on a min 2 year fixed term 

What would be best in this situation? Take out a £30k personal loan on a 30 year term and then just repay it when we remortgage?

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,743 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I doubt you will get a £30k personal loan with that long a term.  Most seem to be under 10 years.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • StevenGude
    Options
    Brie said:
    I doubt you will get a £30k personal loan with that long a term.  Most seem to be under 10 years.  
    Sorry yes I did look last night and most were 10 under

But same principle remains - take a 10 year loan and just repay after 6 months when mortgage funds arrive?
  • Phoenix72
    Phoenix72 Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Taking a £30k loan out 6 months before you want to re-mortgage to a new lender would generally not be advised.
  • retiredbanker1
    retiredbanker1 Posts: 378 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is there a guarantee that you would qualify for the extra £30k on your re- mortgage?
  • StevenGude
    Options
    Is there a guarantee that you would qualify for the extra £30k on your re- mortgage?
    We are significantly under our maximum mortgage with most lenders. I guess nothing is guaranteed. But most DIPs say they will lend us around 400k. I want to increase mine from 170k current to 200k.
  • Phoenix72
    Phoenix72 Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We are significantly under our maximum mortgage with most lenders. I guess nothing is guaranteed. But most DIPs say they will lend us around 400k. I want to increase mine from 170k current to 200k.
    Thats without a few hundred pounds repayment on a loan I assume?
  • StevenGude
    edited 16 May at 7:46PM
    Options
    Phoenix72 said:
    Thats without a few hundred pounds repayment on a loan I assume?
    Reduces to around 310
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The mortgage offer would be reduced by the amount of debt you took on, though it's widely recommended to not take out significant unsecured debt in the runup to a mortgage application, I would wait until application and borrow more, while it would be nice to have it this summer, it would be more financially prudent to wait
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nasqueron said:
    The mortgage offer would be reduced by the amount of debt you took on, though it's widely recommended to not take out significant unsecured debt in the runup to a mortgage application, I would wait until application and borrow more, while it would be nice to have it this summer, it would be more financially prudent to wait

That's not my experience. They calculate the mortgage offered after deducting your loan repayment from your net income. 

In my case they told me each £10k of debt reduced my potential mortgage by £40k. 
  • R_P_W
    R_P_W Posts: 1,507 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    We are wanting a conservatory this summer and plan was to take additional on our mortgage to pay for it. However mortgage fix rate expires in Nov and I want to change lenders so I don't want to tie myself in with additional borrowing on a min 2 year fixed term 

What would be best in this situation? Take out a £30k personal loan on a 30 year term and then just repay it when we remortgage?
    an expensive conservatory, even more so if you are having to finance it
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport