We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Unauthorised money from bank account

Options
May I firstly apologise if this has already been covered. 
I recently paid £89 by debit card to a company to come out and repair a tumble dryer, at the same time they enrolled me into a warranty contract for £8.95 pm. After the engineer had left I received a text to say the parts would be £190 so I cancelled the repair, knowing that I would lose the £89. I then cancelled the warranty within the legal 14 days grace (5 actually) I was told the warranty fee would be refunded, I later found out the repair company is affiliated with the warranty supplier, after I cancelled the warranty I went into my bank only to find the repair company had taken a further £50 for what they say is for cancelling the warranty in the 1st year. My gripe with all this is that they used my debit card including the 3 digit security code to take the money without my authorisation, they are adamant that I gave them permission but I didn't, I only gave permission for the initial sum of £89 which I know I have lost.
They have now sent me an email quoting page 11 in the tems and conditions saying they are within the law to take this further £50 (even without my permission). I have read the terms over and over and nowhere does it say a charge of any sort be made, in actual fact it says they will refund all premiums paid.
Can anyone please advise me as to what can be done to recover the £50. I have explained to them that I am a pensioner and cannot afford to give this amount of money away but they are intent on making my life a misery. 

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Can you share a link to the Ts & Cs or even just the name of the company?
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 15,104 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    davali22 said:
    I recently paid £89 by debit card to a company to come out and repair a tumble dryer, at the same time they enrolled me into a warranty contract for £8.95 pm. After the engineer had left I received a text to say the parts would be £190 so I cancelled the repair, knowing that I would lose the £89. I then cancelled the warranty within the legal 14 days grace (5 actually) I was told the warranty fee would be refunded, I later found out the repair company is affiliated with the warranty supplier, after I cancelled the warranty I went into my bank only to find the repair company had taken a further £50 for what they say is for cancelling the warranty in the 1st year. My gripe with all this is that they used my debit card including the 3 digit security code to take the money without my authorisation, they are adamant that I gave them permission but I didn't, I only gave permission for the initial sum of £89 which I know I have lost.
    They have now sent me an email quoting page 11 in the tems and conditions saying they are within the law to take this further £50 (even without my permission). I have read the terms over and over and nowhere does it say a charge of any sort be made, in actual fact it says they will refund all premiums paid.
    Can anyone please advise me as to what can be done to recover the £50. I have explained to them that I am a pensioner and cannot afford to give this amount of money away but they are intent on making my life a misery. 
    If they stored the CVV then they are breaking the card regulations, which state they are not to be stored. Big fine for doing this.
    But transactions do not always require CVV.

Ask your bank & they should be able to confirm exactly what details were used.
    Life in the slow lane
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    davali22 said:
    Cooling off periods dont mean cancellation is free, despite what some people think. It depends on what the product is legally classified as. 

Its would be strange that the CCV was used, normally a reoccurring payment is set up using a CPA where only the original payment uses enhanced security and all subsequent payments, including cancellation, use a CPA merchant ID that dont need any secondary details like expirary date let alone CCV
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure