We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Replacing immersion heater

Options
Hi. I have an old immersion heater and both heating elements need replacing. The tank is probably over 30 years old.
I've had a quote from trusted plumber to fix it which is under £300. He did mention that as the tank is old, and they can split, is probably very scaled up inside, I may want to think about replacing it with an unvented tank which will cost just over £1000. 
I really don't know what to do so some knowledgeable opinions would be greatly appreciated.  

Comments

• nofoollikeold
    nofoollikeold Posts: 615 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    1. An unvented hot water cylinder may only be installed by someone with current "G3" registration.  There are a number of firms providing registration including "NAPIT" and Gas Safe.  The fact that someone gas a Gas Safe registration does not necessarily mean they are qualified to install or maintain an unvented system.
    2. Depending on the layout of the property, installing an unvented cylinder can involve considerably more work than replacing a vented cylinder.  
    3. Unvented cylinders should be serviced annually by someone with the G3 qualification.
    4. To achieve decent performance, you need a dynamic incoming mains pressure of around 2 bar, and a flow rate of around 20 litres per minute.  
    5. Installing an unvented cylinder may require the replacement of WC inlet valves as the system operates at higher pressure and the old valves may not cope.  
    6. Removing an old immersion heater can cause the cylinder to split.  However, replacement on a like for like basis is likely to be far cheaper than installing an unvented cylinder.
    7. The advantages of an unvented cylinder are hot and cold water at mains pressure without pumps.
    8. The main disadvantage (apart from cost) is that if there is a mains supply interruption, you will have no hot or cold water.  
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 4,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £1,000 sounds really cheap, unless he means that's the cost of HWC.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    An unvented hot water cylinder may only be installed by someone with current "G3" registration.  There are a number of firms providing registration including "NAPIT" and Gas Safe.  The fact that someone gas a Gas Safe registration does not necessarily mean they are qualified to install or maintain an unvented system.
    2. Depending on the layout of the property, installing an unvented cylinder can involve considerably more work than replacing a vented cylinder.  

£1,000 sounds really cheap, unless he means that's the cost of HWC.

Something does not quite 'add up' 

• Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    That seems suspiciously cheap, I was getting quotes of £1500-£2200 in a flat where all the plumbing for the entire property was within two back to back rooms in 2012.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,790 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I had my ordinary immersion replaced with another ordinary but updated copper + insulation. It was 20yrs old and tiny leak at bottom. I decided to replace while I had a good plumber there to do it.
    My neighbour whose house was also 20yrs old had hers flood. Also replaced with the same one.

If you don't especially want or need something more I'd say just replace the tank and elements. 
    Do you have a thermostat on it? Might be worth having that replaced while you're at it and know it's all working.

I'd also get another plumber for the quote and just wait and see if he suggests anything different.

I seem to remember£500-600 plus labour about 3yrs ago

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Goldiemum said:
    Hi. I have an old immersion heater and both heating elements need replacing. The tank is probably over 30 years old.
    I've had a quote from trusted plumber to fix it which is under £300. He did mention that as the tank is old, and they can split, is probably very scaled up inside, I may want to think about replacing it with an unvented tank which will cost just over £1000. 
    I really don't know what to do so some knowledgeable opinions would be greatly appreciated.  

Hi Goldie.
    As said above, I think the obvious first step is to get other quotes and opinions. 
    I take it your current cylinder is 'vented'? If so, current prices are around the £300 mark for these, and the job of replacing it should be pretty straight-forward.
    If you are happy with how it performs, then that is bound to be cheaper than going 'unvented', even at the suspiciously cheap £1k quoted by this plumber. Unvented cylinders start at roughly double the 'vented' price, will require a G3 installer, significant (tho' not complex) changes to your plumbing pipes, and a decent mains flow and pressure rate to drive it. And annual services henceforth.
    And then there's the option of a new immersion heater at around £50.
    Yes, vented cylinders are susceptible to damage when trying to release an old immersion element, but that's not to say it cannot be done. Also, if your plumber is suggesting it may be full of scale, that suggests you are in a hard water area, so a plus here is that the cylinder is unlikely to be corroded/eroded, so should still be pretty strong.
    Most plumbers would, I think, at least have a go at removing the old immersion, whilst safeguarding themselves by turning off the cold supply to the cylinder (but still leaving it full of water for strength), and fitting a drain hose 'just in case'. Then they'd at least try and remove the old element. 
    Anyhoo, first step, I'd suggest, are other opinions and quotes.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure