🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Employment tribunal - witness quandary

Options

I began an employment tribunal case for unfair dismissal against my former employer in October 2023. Witness statements were exchanged on 20 March 2024 and the evidence bundle agreed a few weeks previously. The hearing will be on 15/16 June.However, I now find that a former colleague who provided a written and signed statement of evidence which is quite important to my case has declined to appear in person at the tribunal hearing. I am loathe to require him to give evidence as I fear he may well be hostile if forced to attend. So, I  wonder if I should withdraw his statement from my bundle. Alternatively, I wonder if I can just leave it there for the tribunal to consider. Not sure what to do.

Any advice welcome. Thank you.

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If his statement helps your case, leave it in, but I would not force him to attend. I doubt the tribunal decision will be affected by his non-attendance. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,986 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

I began an employment tribunal case for unfair dismissal against my former employer in October 2023. Witness statements were exchanged on 20 March 2024 and the evidence bundle agreed a few weeks previously. The hearing will be on 15/16 June.However, I now find that a former colleague who provided a written and signed statement of evidence which is quite important to my case has declined to appear in person at the tribunal hearing. I am loathe to require him to give evidence as I fear he may well be hostile if forced to attend. So, I  wonder if I should withdraw his statement from my bundle. Alternatively, I wonder if I can just leave it there for the tribunal to consider. Not sure what to do.

Any advice welcome. Thank you.

You can't require him to do so - you would need to persuade the tribunal that it was essential for him to attend and give his evidence in person. You've already spotted why that is often not a good idea!

This may be new territory for you, but tribunals will be very familiar with just this scenario. You've said his statement is important to your case, so leave it in.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • LinLui
    LinLui Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There is little point in withdrawing it,  but the tribunal will not consider it without the witness appearing except in very exceptional circumstances. You would have to justify why those exceptional circumstances apply - if they are simply reluctant to give evidence the tribunal is not allowed to consider it. You should,  however,  advise the tribunal that the witness will not appear. They may then decide to remove it anyway in order to prevent what is said in it influencing the decision,  something which could give rise to grounds for appeal. With a few exceptions, the judge (s) should only consider evidence which a witness has given in court and which is subject to cross-examination.
  • mybestattempt
    mybestattempt Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 May at 4:28PM
    Options
    You should leave the witness statement in.

The judge will decide how much weight to give the statement. 

When considering this, the judge will take into account the fact other side did not have the opportunity to cross examine the witness and if there is any documentary evidence which supports the statement.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure