We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Bedroom colour scheme

Options
Having insulated the external walls and replastered, time to think about colour schemes for the bedroom. Flooring is down (light oak laminate), and skirting, picture rail, and architrave is all being primed and given a base coat.
I'm contemplating doing the woodwork in a dark red, and the walls, door, and windowsill in a very pale pink. The ceiling and walls above the picture rail in white.
Lil'Sis says No. Woodwork should all be white and the walls a pale blue.

Any comments or other suggestions (as long as it isn't grey or magnolia).
Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.

Comments

• flo22
    flo22 Posts: 345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm with Lil'sis.  Red woodwork would only work for me if the walls were the same colour
    30+ years working in banking
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    Having insulated the external walls and replastered, time to think about colour schemes for the bedroom. Flooring is down (light oak laminate), and skirting, picture rail, and architrave is all being primed and given a base coat.
    I'm contemplating doing the woodwork in a dark red, and the walls, door, and windowsill in a very pale pink. The ceiling and walls above the picture rail in white.
    Lil'Sis says No. Woodwork should all be white and the walls a pale blue.

Any comments or other suggestions (as long as it isn't grey or magnolia).
    I am more of a traditional white woodwork sort of person.

However I can say from experience that pale blue walls can look a bit wishy washy.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,791 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 16 May at 1:22PM
    Options
    I come from an era where colour woodwork was,a thing. My friend did crimson woodwork for one roomm with white walls or red rosebuds on a white background and it was lovely. But it wasn't the bedroom.

Blue is a cold colour so very soothing for sleep.
    If you can find it a blue/lavender gives the warmth with the calm.

What about a blue woodwork with off white walls?

I have neutral walls but put the calming colour in pictures.
    Much easier to change  :)

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd look at Pinterest and see what works.  

I like walls, ceiling and woodwork in the same colour.  
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,227 Forumite
    edited 16 May at 5:33PM
    Options
    What 'effect' are you trying to achieve, FreeBear? Can you put a 'name' to it? Cosy? Dramatic? Relaxing? Sooooothing? Contemporary? Trad? Bold?
    Whatevs, I'd second Doozergirl's suggestion of actually seeing what already works in terms of colours, perhaps starting with your key word, but there will be so much variation coming up that you'll see a lot more variety than expected. 
    I have no such vision myself, and really struggle, so always look and look at what's already out there - and nigh-on copy it. So 'join' Pinterest, and you will get regular emails that'll become more and more tailored towards what you are looking for.
    Pinterest, or just even Google Images (which will likely lead to Pinterest...)
    Bookmark/download the images that appeal, so you don't forget them. Post some on here for opinions too?
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd also recommend Pinterest to have a look at options,
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 4,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm probably the last person you'd want for interior design advice, so my wife just decided on colours. However, if you're undecided, might be worth downloading one of the the visualizer apps, like the Dulux one.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Options
    Depends on the aspect the window faces, but I have always liked light misty green tones in bedrooms it is easy to coordinate and I think goes well with Oak flooring.
    It used to be the go to scheme for waiting rooms as it is purported to have calming and tranquil effect which is not a bad way to start your day.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Closest pinterest I can find -
    Walls a bit too pink - I had more in mind Tea Blossom Pink with a slightly darker red and keeping the door the same colour as the walls.
    Blue of any shade is out - The woodwork was originally a pale(ish) blue and has now been cut up for kindling.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Belenus
    Belenus Posts: 2,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 May at 5:18PM
    Options
    FreeBear said:....The woodwork was originally a pale(ish) blue and has now been cut up for kindling.
    Please be careful, especially if using that indoors.

Burning painted wood can release toxic fumes.

Link.
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family