We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How to contact dwp for jobs at the job centre?

Options
I have been out of work for a bit due to a health condition, I'm currently talking to a health and disability adviser, She has suggested going to local libraries to see if they want volunteers to help people with their basic computer needs. It's been a long time since I stepped foot in the job centre but I do remember there was computers in them, I'm thinking about contacting them to see if they would want someone to help people with the basic computer needs while at the job centre. 

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    _Jem_ said:
    I have been out of work for a bit due to a health condition, I'm currently talking to a health and disability adviser, She has suggested going to local libraries to see if they want volunteers to help people with their basic computer needs. It's been a long time since I stepped foot in the job centre but I do remember there was computers in them, I'm thinking about contacting them to see if they would want someone to help people with the basic computer needs while at the job centre. 
    I think the suggestion from your adviser is a really good one: public libraries are the main place where people go for help with computer tasks. They also host job clubs, and many people who come to job clubs are held back because their lack of computer skills makes it difficult to apply for jobs.

Job centres do not help their clients with computer-based tasks: you may have seen the (very accurate) film "I, Daniel Blake" in which a staff member at a job centre gets into trouble for helping a client use a computer. Rather, they advise clients to seek help at public libraries. Anyway, jobs with the DWP are listed on the main Civil Service Jobs website.
  • _Jem_
    _Jem_ Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 May at 12:36PM
    Options
    _Jem_ said:
    I think the suggestion from your adviser is a really good one: public libraries are the main place where people go for help with computer tasks. They also host job clubs, and many people who come to job clubs are held back because their lack of computer skills makes it difficult to apply for jobs.

Job centres do not help their clients with computer-based tasks: you may have seen the (very accurate) film "I, Daniel Blake" in which a staff member at a job centre gets into trouble for helping a client use a computer. Rather, they advise clients to seek help at public libraries. Anyway, jobs with the DWP are listed on the main Civil Service Jobs website.
    Cheers I was actually looking for somewhere I could email them to offer my service, just to see if they are willing to let me sit at a job centre to offer my help, I wouldn't be employed by them so thought it would be a good idea. Plus it shows the job centre I am willing to help out people and not just wanting to sit at home.

I do have a couple of libraries I am going to try but being in a job centre would be good getting use to a office environment and my thinking might lead them to actually want to give me a job...

No I haven't see that film lol
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,204 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    _Jem_ said:
    _Jem_ said:

Cheers I was actually looking for somewhere I could email them to offer my service, just to see if they are willing to let me sit at a job centre to offer my help, I wouldn't be employed by them so thought it would be a good idea. Plus it shows the job centre I am willing to help out people and not just wanting to sit at home.

I do have a couple of libraries I am going to try but being in a job centre would be good getting use to a office environment and my thinking might lead them to actually want to give me a job...

It is an excellent film, but personally I wouldn't recommend it to many people because I saw it with a small audience, and in the ladies afterwards we were all in tears, and VERY angry. 

And honestly, I think the Job Centre would have all kinds of reasons NOT to want volunteers in the office, and as I understand it, people don't spend much time 'hanging around': they're expected to turn up bang on time for appointments, go in and get out again. 

the atmosphere in libraries is likely to be far better! And, if they don't host regular sessions, they will know who does. Locally, we have 'Tea and Tech' sessions in the local cafe, and I know our library (which might not be in your area!) would know where to point you. 

Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Jude57
    Jude57 Posts: 563 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    _Jem_ said:
    _Jem_ said:

If you're looking for volunteering roles, why not contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau? They offer training in advice and guidance (such qualifications can be useful in all kinds of jobs) and volunteers are still able to apply for paid roles with CAB too. Or you could look at volunteering with local charities who might be very grateful to have someone who can help them navigate IT. Your local Council might have schemes to support people back into work and again, might be grateful for a volunteer so worth checking their website for contact details of any programmes they offer. Be aware that some volunteering roles will require security and criminal record checks and some will require certain qualifications - which is where CAB could be a good start. Good luck!
  • _Jem_
    Options
    Savvy_Sue said:
    _Jem_ said:
    _Jem_ said:

It is an excellent film, but personally I wouldn't recommend it to many people because I saw it with a small audience, and in the ladies afterwards we were all in tears, and VERY angry. 

And honestly, I think the Job Centre would have all kinds of reasons NOT to want volunteers in the office, and as I understand it, people don't spend much time 'hanging around': they're expected to turn up bang on time for appointments, go in and get out again. 

the atmosphere in libraries is likely to be far better! And, if they don't host regular sessions, they will know who does. Locally, we have 'Tea and Tech' sessions in the local cafe, and I know our library (which might not be in your area!) would know where to point you. 

This is probably true I never saw anyone on those computers, in and out and of course since covid they want you on time and out. I suppose some of the people I might be helping wouldn't be that happy if they have had a firm work coach, I remember one lady would be so horrible to some people enough to make them cry as they were leaving. A library would be the better environment. I'm pretty good with a computer but not at working in a office so doing this kind of work was suggested to start with and then as I get the confidence I can see about moving forward to a paid job.

Jude57 said:
    _Jem_ said:
    _Jem_ said:

If you're looking for volunteering roles, why not contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau? They offer training in advice and guidance (such qualifications can be useful in all kinds of jobs) and volunteers are still able to apply for paid roles with CAB too. Or you could look at volunteering with local charities who might be very grateful to have someone who can help them navigate IT. Your local Council might have schemes to support people back into work and again, might be grateful for a volunteer so worth checking their website for contact details of any programmes they offer. Be aware that some volunteering roles will require security and criminal record checks and some will require certain qualifications - which is where CAB could be a good start. Good luck!
    Good idea about the Citizens advice thanks this is my goal to get a paid job just got to take little steps first to get there.
  • LinLui
    LinLui Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 May at 3:03PM
    Options
    I was just reading your other thread in which you appear to say that you have limited computer skills and struggle to talk. Based on what you have to say there,  I don't want to pour water on your very clear enthusiasm, but I am not seeing what you have to offer in terms of supporting people to use library computers. You say here that you are pretty good with a computer,  but that is a very different outlook from the one that you have been posting between January and April where you talk about lacking skills in core office type programmes.

If I am being honest "go volunteer in a library" sounds like crap advice - the sort of generic " got to say something" of a lazy advisor who can't be arsed. 

I would actually have two (in my opinion) better suggestions...

First one... find your local Volunteer Centre or Volunteer Bureau. They hold details of myriads of volunteering roles,  and will find the time and space to look at matching you with something that fits what you have to offer,  what your aspirations are,  what you would like to get better at or learn; and they will do that with an eye to ensuring that you are matched with places that have the environment and skills to support you as well. Volunteering should be a two way process with the organisation benefiting from your time and skills,  and you benefiting from what they have to offer. And since it appears that you have complex health issues,  if a first placement doesn't work out its OK to say so and go back,  exploring what didn't work and looking for something else.

Second... I'm not sure what your health issues are,  but somewhere there will be organisations who are specifically there to advise and support people with your issues. Your local Council for Voluntary Service will have lists - many of the lists are now on line - of both local and national organisations. Many have specific sections for employment advice,  some even have partnerships with employers and can match people to apprenticeship opportunities. Even if you aren't ready for employment yet,  it could help you find direction.

If nobody has mentioned permitted work to you,  it may also be something worth exploring as it allows you to earn a small amount without impacting on your benefit entitlement.

And oops,  sorry,  I didn't mean to write an essay! 
  • _Jem_
    Options
    Was a long reply lol

Thank you for reading my other post and it probably would confuse anyone lol So working in a office I'm not sure about as a paid job as I have never done that so I feel I have limited computer skills, so I'm limited to what I can do, I feel I would be out of my depth and probably sink straight away trying to remember things, But teaching someone how to use a computer for basic needs or any device wouldn't be hard.

Yes my voice is a let down so being in a role talking wouldn't be advisable for a paid job, but volunteer work would be ok as it would be minimum work/talking and I will get to know what the limits are.

My breathing problems and voice problems seems to be brought on by extreme stress, So going into a paid job in a office would be putting more stress on me. I feel going into something easy will be the best way to start.

I have now completed a application form for my local CAB so I can see where I go from there.

I have been talking to the advisor since January and at the start I don't think the conversations were going well and didn't really help me, but things have moved on and she has started to suggest things that I could do, As I explained I can do basic computer stuff.
  • Own_Worst_Enermy
    Own_Worst_Enermy Posts: 226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Go back 20 odd years plus. The last time I remember being able to apply for a part time job in the job centre was when Vera duckworth of coronation street was alive and then only just. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback