We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Affordable skincare for over 50

Options
I’m a 53 Post Menopausal woman, never really been big on skin care as I always looked young for my age 😁

But saw my skin up close in a magnifying mirror recently 😱 - my eyesight is not that good always had high prescription glasses and now varifocals- I have large pores and sun spots and my skin looks dull.

By affordable I mean more high St  than designer

Comments

• sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There is plenty out there both branded and stores own you just need to find what works for you, Some of the boots own branded stuff is very good value as is Superdrug and they have different ranges available. If your skin is dull you probably need an good exfoliator, try a chemical one rather than harsh scratchy bits on your skin!
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 16 May at 12:39PM
    Options
    Superdrug vitamin E range or Aldi are excellent 
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The ordinary is a very effective brand, prices are creeping up but still quite reasonable. 
    Their website has lots of tips about building a skincare regime as well as advice on what products should not be used. 
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • applepad
    applepad Posts: 396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Misslayed said:
    As a melanoma survivor and 68 year old, I'm a big fan of Altruist. 

https://altruistsun.com/sunscreen/altruist-sunscreen-fluid-spf-50/

Originally sunscreen developed by a dermatologist, shocked at the number of his skin cancer patients who said they couldn't afford effective sunscreen. Now includes skin care with the same philosophy- no perfume, no fancy packaging, no marketing, just word of mouth by converts like me. All my 8 grandchildren and their parents use the sunscreen and NEVER burn. I love the foaming cleanser, moisturiser and face fluid. 
    Thanks I’m aware of Altruist sunscreen, think I first heard about it on Radio 4.

So I’ve look at the site, what do you use? The Cleansing foam, then the moisturiser and then an SPF on top? Can you just buy the skin care from the website?

Thank you
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The ordinary is a very effective brand, prices are creeping up but still quite reasonable. 
    Their website has lots of tips about building a skincare regime as well as advice on what products should not be used. 
    I'm another fan of The Ordinary.

Although as I'm getting older, my oily skin is worsening and I'm getting spotty again. My forties were definitely my best skin decade!
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,372 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    applepad said:
    Misslayed said:
    As a melanoma survivor and 68 year old, I'm a big fan of Altruist. 

https://altruistsun.com/sunscreen/altruist-sunscreen-fluid-spf-50/

Originally sunscreen developed by a dermatologist, shocked at the number of his skin cancer patients who said they couldn't afford effective sunscreen. Now includes skin care with the same philosophy- no perfume, no fancy packaging, no marketing, just word of mouth by converts like me. All my 8 grandchildren and their parents use the sunscreen and NEVER burn. I love the foaming cleanser, moisturiser and face fluid. 
    Thanks I’m aware of Altruist sunscreen, think I first heard about it on Radio 4.

So I’ve look at the site, what do you use? The Cleansing foam, then the moisturiser and then an SPF on top? Can you just buy the skin care from the website?

Thank you
    Yes, that's exactly what I use. 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Angelica123
    Angelica123 Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The Ordinary and Inkey List are two brands that are affordable and sell a lot of single ingredient products. 

I am a huge fan of Korean sun screens (Beauty of Joseon and Isntree ) which I bulk buy off Stylevana online. 

You can find loads of dermatologists who give advice re building skincare routines online. While you may not want to necessarily pick the brands of products they use (after all they often get sent stuff by companies so conflict of interest) - knowing the type of products/ingredients you need to build a routine for your goals is useful. 

If you only buy one product - make sure you are wearing SPF daily. It sounds like you could also benefit from a exfoliator (only need to use 1-2 week) and retinol (be careful about slowly building it up - don't use daily from get go).( I am not a dermatologist just a skincare enthusiast).
  • Cearl2024
    Cearl2024 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 May at 8:53AM
    Options

Hi there!

It's never too late to start a skincare routine, My Auntie gave me some of this and it works great :) Swanson Vitamin K Cream with Menaquinone-7 from https://bigvits.co.uk . Vitamin K is known for its skin-healing properties and can help reduce the appearance of sun spots and even out your skin tone. Additionally, it can improve your skin’s overall texture and brightness, making it look more youthful and radiant. Like the tip to use Korean SPF though, haven't tried it but I will!  Hope this helps!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure