🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Octopus loyalty fix September 23, no regrets

Options
MikeJXE
MikeJXE Posts: 3,126 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
I fixed with Octopus in September 23 after doing the maths.

It had an early exit fee of £75 per fuel.

Having checked my usage for this year (4 months)

I am down £1.90 

I won't be using any gas this summer so I will be up due to higher SC rates 

I have not calculated October to January when rates were higher so I guess I win 

Anyone else done the calculations ? 

Comments

• Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,327 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I just pay far less than that by virtue of having a smart meter.
  • northernstar007
    northernstar007 Posts: 490 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    would have saved loads if you went on tracker, and did u get you £50 referral
  • TheElectricCow
    TheElectricCow Posts: 515 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I took out the same fix before exiting around the end of February for Agile, I don’t regret the decision though as I fixed for price security rather than savings. I knew it wasn’t likely to be the cheapest option at the time, and looking back that has been absolutely correct, but I will admit to initially misjudging the value to be had from the likes of Agile and Tracker.

My energy use on the fix for March+April would have cost £114.26 (although this figure is largely inflated by all the extra free energy I’ve made good use of in this time). 

That same usage on Agile cost no more than
    £39.45.  + The £75 Exit fee and it works out about the same either way so far, but over the remaining term of the fix I’ll be up by a significant amount since exiting, as I’ve already “saved” that £75 in two months.

Plus I’ve had a great deal of extra value in the additional free usage, and my Standing Charge is fixed for 10 more months at the same rate as loyal Octopus was with no further exit fees.

Moo…
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,887 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am on Tracker for electric but fixed my gas in August 2023 paying just under 7p a kwh. I reasoned that in a normal winter Tracker gas was likely to be around the 5p mark so with my usage I would be paying an extra £60 for security. As it turned out it was a mild winter and the Tracker gas price was more like 4p BUT I used the least amount of gas I have used in the 22 years I have lived in this house. The actual price difference once adjusted for reduced usage was more like £50, and I'm still on the lower SC. I'm happy with that result.
    This year I'll be looking to fix again, hopefully around 5p a kwh. I suspect the price difference with Tracker will be tighter this year but I'd be happy to pay an extra £60 for security again.

Darren

Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts