🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

British Gas double charging me for the same energy

Options
Mani0208888
Mani0208888 Posts: 10 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi everyone

I’m having real problems with British Gas.

Back in 2022 I moved from credit meter to pay as you go for my gas and electric and had on going issues with my account being transferred to pay as you go.

Long story short I took British Gas to the ombudsman and got it confirmed from British Gas that both my accounts gas and electric are on pay as you go with no outstanding balance.

The above was agreed in 2023 March.

Then in November 2023 I received a bill £403.70 asking me to pay money for electric usage for months between 18/08/23 to 18/11/24 I phoned up and explained that I'm a pay as you go customer how can you send me a bill for thee dates and charge me for the same energy usage twice.

I also asked how your system can send me out a bill when I purchase my electric before I use it, they claimed to have fixed this error.

Now I have received a bill that is dated 19/11/2024 – 19/02/24 stating that I owe £385.66 I have phoned up again yesterday the advisor told me that they had escalated this to their manger.

The agent said they would call me back but no has

I then started an online chat and the advisor could not help me.

Any advice on how to move forward with this would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• 2childmum2
    2childmum2 Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 May at 8:33PM
    Options
    I'm on pay as you go. I receive a bill after I've used the gas and electricity - so in your example the bill you received in November would pay for the energy used between 18/8 to 18/11. Then the next bill is for energy used between 19/ 11 to 19/2. So I pay in arrears for the energy already used. Are you sure this isn't what you are doing? Or are you paying a certain amount (monthly? Quarterly?) and then this bill is on top?
    I've never heard of paying in advance, apart from paying a set amount each month.
  • Mani0208888
    Options
    I can confirm I had no outstanding balance before I moved over to pay as you go.

I'm not in arrears, I just top up my electric each month via the British gas app £200.00 a month.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,292 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm on pay as you go. I receive a bill after I've used the gas and electricity - so in your example the bill you received in November would pay for the energy used between 18/8 to 18/11. Then the next bill is for energy used between 19/ 11 to 19/2. So I pay in arrears for the energy already used. Are you sure this isn't what you are doing? Or are you paying a certain amount (monthly? Quarterly?) and then this bill is on top?
    I've never heard of paying in advance, apart from paying a set amount each month.
    You've never heard of pre-payment meters? Pay as you go is the modern pre-payment meter. It's not what you're on yourself.

To the OP: You need to raise another formal complaint. Hopefully then you'll get someone more sensible who knows what to do.
  • Mani0208888
    Options
    I know what a pre-payment meter is because my gas is pay as you go as well, and I never get a bill asking me to pay money why is that?
  • Mani0208888
    Options
    I have even had emails asking me for meter readings which as a pay as you go customer is not required.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,292 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 May at 9:03PM
    Options
    I know what a pre-payment meter is because my gas is pay as you go as well, and I never get a bill asking me to pay money why is that?
    I know you do. I was responding to somebody else's comment. See the quote!

The bit that says 'to the OP' is to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure