🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Selling two properties to buy one - strategies

Options
Hi all,

I am looking to buy a house with my partner.

We both currently have flats with mortgages, I have just accepted an offer on my flat (let’s call it Flat One), Flat Two is going to market shortly.

We do not need the small amount of equity in Flat 2 for our onward purchase - there is significantly more equity in Flat 1 and we also have cash in the bank.

My initial thought was to exclude Flat 2 from the chain and allow the sale to complete after flat 1/our onward purchase. However it is dawning on me that lenders may not be sympathetic to this approach… could any posters share their thoughts on how best to proceed?

TIA

Save £12k in 2020 #42 £12,551.25 / £14,000 89.65%

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,133 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Is your mortgage offer subject to you redeeming the mortgage on flat 2, if so you will need to get the lenders consent to remove that clause. One option is to ask for consent to let on the mortgage for flat 2 as a temporary measure., that may allow your lender to exclude it from affordability.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Reg_Smeeton
    Reg_Smeeton Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes that’s correct.

Flat 2 is a joint ownership property with a housing association - I dont have details of the leasehold to hand but I would imagine we won’t be able to get consent to let on it for that reason?

Another thought I have had is to pay up the small mortgage on flat 2 with some of our cash in the bank to effectively exclude it from the transaction and sell it later. Would need to run the numbers to check it wouldnt affect our onward purchase but is this potentially a viable option?
    Save £12k in 2020 #42 £12,551.25 / £14,000 89.65%
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,133 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes that’s correct.

Flat 2 is a joint ownership property with a housing association - I dont have details of the leasehold to hand but I would imagine we won’t be able to get consent to let on it for that reason?

Another thought I have had is to pay up the small mortgage on flat 2 with some of our cash in the bank to effectively exclude it from the transaction and sell it later. Would need to run the numbers to check it wouldnt affect our onward purchase but is this potentially a viable option?
    If you can afford to pay off its mortgage and not need any equity it has, then it’s an option. It is still a property that you own that you have the running costs to cover, so your lender may need to know. Though saying you intend letting it, may alleviate that concern.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I wouldn't overthink matters. Proceed with selling Flat I. Look for an onward purchase. Meanwhile market property 2 . Wait for events to unfold. 
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,478 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not selling Flat 2 on, or before, your purchase day, will add a 3% stamp duty land tax bill to the purchase costs (reclaimable within 3 years but the money will be out of pockets for some time). Make sure you allow for that.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If you are not planning to get married or enter a civil partnership it is important to set up a deed of trust to define wht belongs to who in case of break up/death as you apppear to be financially unequal
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure