Capita Data Breach/Barings Law

Options
As a victim of the Capita Data Breach, I joined the Barings Law ‘no win no fee’ claim, as did many of my colleagues. They keep me regularly informed, however they have asked me to sign a ‘claimant assignment’ form. Does anyone know if this is standard practice?Thank you. 

Comments

• baz8755
    baz8755 Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I received the same and have not yet signed as I have asked them to confirm that I will not be liable to pay anything regardless of the outcome of the case. The part about giving permission to borrow funds is something that I don't like the sound of.
  • gravel_2
    gravel_2 Posts: 302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It's hard to gauge without seeing the content. If you are uncertain you should seek legal help.

Likely what you are doing is giving the right to claim over to the law firm. There should be some clear mechanism through which you will get payback if the case is successful. Your pay-out will of course come last after any expenses of the claim (including the law firm's fees) are deducted. The reference to borrowing - these types of claims are typically funded (because you are not a paying customer) so it could be reference to that. Claims are expensive. It's possible for third parties to "invest" in group claims for some pre-determined return. Equally they could intend to seek debt funding to cashflow the claim. All of this of course decreases the value of any eventual pay-out but the case likely doesn't happen without it...
  • mslindor81
    mslindor81 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. 
    @baz8755 I will raise this question with them too  - but if you should get a response sooner, would you be able to update please? I’ll do the same. Many thanks :-)
  • baz8755
    baz8755 Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I got a response and was assured that I will not be liable for anything. They did say that if I didn't go ahead I would be liable for any costs accrued so far.

I also understood from the outset that they would be taking a sizable cut from any proceeds but as I probably wouldn't get anything any other way that doesn't really bother me as something is better than nothing 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure