Birmingham Bank Has No Online Portal?

Options
Hello all,
I've just opened a fixed rate savings bond with Birmingham Bank. I made the first payment and received a confirmatory email and went to double check that online only to find that there is no facility to do this.

This isn't a huge problem as I won't need regular access but I'm so surprise that this is still a thing these days that now I'm concerned that somehow I've been scammed? I set up the account through their website following a link from this site and the email address looks good etc. The 'name matched' when I set up the payment.

I emailed them and was told that their online portal would be set up by the end of the month. I hope and suspect I'm worrying about nothing but wanted to float this here before sending more money.

Thank you in advance for any replies :)

Comments

• TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,916 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here is Birmingham Bank's page on the FCA Register:

https://register.fca.org.uk/s/firm?id=001b000000MfJwwAAF

I would suggest you call them using the phone number on that page to confirm that they have received your deposit. It doesn't look like you've been scammed but for peace of mind give them a call. Do not rely on email to confirm this as if there is a scam at play it is likely to involve false or intercepted emails. 
  • jameseonline
    jameseonline Posts: 544 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Never heard of them, hmm 🧐 🤔 
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Never heard of them, hmm 🧐 🤔 
    There are numerous small banks and savings providers that 90% of the public have never heard of.
  • Popppins
    Popppins Posts: 9 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 May at 10:36AM
    Options
    Thank you to The Banker and Albemarle for your helpful and relevant input.

I rang them yesterday from a different phone (just in case) and all does seem well. I still may open another bond elsewhere though for the rest of the lump I'm investing. It's just good to see it land with my own eyes.

Have an excellent day :)
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,916 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Popppins said:
    Thank you to The Banker and Albemarle for your helpful and relevant input.

I rang them yesterday from a different phone (just in case) and all does seem well. I still may open another bond elsewhere though for the rest of the lump I'm investing. It's just good to see it land with my own eyes.

Have an excellent day :)
    You are welcome. For the sake of a quick phone call it is always better to be safe than sorry. 

I have seen so many people fall for scams that I always encourage caution, and I guarantee no genuine bank will mind you double checking things. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure