PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Saving Money With Walkie Talkies

Options
2»

Comments

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Our cell phones are on contract with EE. Not particularly good and expensive, in my view.

Husband went to pick up kebabs and used walkie talkie to tell me he was on way back and it was crystal clear. 

Another useful feature is that there's a direct emergency channel, so if we had a power cut and no landline (happened during a minor earthquake) we could summon help.

Hello
    As this is a moneysaving forum, I'm not sure the purchase of the walkie talkies was very moneysaving.  Also you may want to consider looking at your mobile phone deals to see when your contract ends and switching to a cheaper supplier.  In terms of emergencies, you're mobiles would work.
    Ms Choc
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • weenancyinAmerica
    weenancyinAmerica Posts: 1,322 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    My understanding is that mobiles only work as long as they can be charged even for emergency calls. Is that true over there as well? Can the walkie-talkies be used if there is no power to recharge them if you  use solar batteries? Just asking for the emergency prep value.
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,847 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 17 May at 1:25PM
    Options
    My understanding is that mobiles only work as long as they can be charged even for emergency calls. Is that true over there as well? Can the walkie-talkies be used if there is no power to recharge them if you  use solar batteries? Just asking for the emergency prep value.

No power = no work

Doesn't matter whether it is a phone or walkie talkie if the battery is flat.

I have a battery pack to charge my phone if away from mains electricity for long periods of time and it would be useful in the advent of a power cut at home.

Don't see any old style money saving in buying extra communications devices.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,713 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have a mobile phone that costs £7 per month on a contract, including data and free texts. 
    It's small and lightweight. 
    I can text, I can play games if I'm waiting about. I can use it to find out where I am. I can phone loads of people if I needed to.
    It's got my nectar card, asda card, tesco card etc on it.
    It's got a record of my appointments in the diary.
    It's got a notepad facility, I use often.

All for £7 per month. No way would I be carrying a walkie talkie.  Over.
  • CouldntResist
    CouldntResist Posts: 97 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 May at 11:11AM
    Options
    Has anyone else done this? I might hazard a guess that in 2024 you are one of a handful of people who would do this...

How exactly was this saving you money? Sounds like a solution in search of a problem....
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have been nagging husband for weeks about EE and VirginMedia as both are out of contract. He finally took some notice today. He ditched VirginMedia and renegotiated EE to include ultrafast broadband and unlimited minutes. The savings he made, pay for the walkie talkies. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure