PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Saving Money With Walkie Talkies

Options
Husband bought us walkie talkies. They have a 5 mile radius so when he is out and about in the town centre or supermarket, we will be able to talk to each other. Useful too when he is in the garden or in his study. I won't have to shout or phone. Only cost is for charging. We've tried them in the house and a few streets away. Simple to us and really clear. 

Has anyone else done this ?

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,306 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    While there is no cost to use, I guess there was an outlay? And do you already have functioning phones with all-inclusive message & call sims?
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We use GiffGaff and calls/texts to others on the same network are free, also Whats App is free for calls/texts using wifi if you're on a PAYG plan.  Seems odd to spend ££ on walkie talkies, how much were they?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 May at 1:03AM
    Options
    Do you have to say "over" when you finish speaking?

Or "rodger that" to say message received.

I would rather silently message.

• Veteransaver
    Veteransaver Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You'll find the radius is a lot less than 5 miles!
    I used to use them on skiing holidays etc where mobile phone reception was poor/expensive, but not much point in them now
  • oystercatcher
    oystercatcher Posts: 2,331 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    We used to use walkie talkies sometimes when out and about before mobiles were quite as reliable. They were quite handy when we needed to meet up . it's much easier to use a mobile and send messages tbh.

I wonder what happened to our walkie talkies ? They must be around somewhere .....

Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • Helebore
    Helebore Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I thought all texts and calls to all mobiles were free, not just on the same network. That, to my knowledge was a long time ago. I haven't paid to text or call anyone for years and years. I pay Smarty once per month a minimal amount. 
  • Helebore
    Helebore Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ah, you were talking about PAYG. 
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,646 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Our cell phones are on contract with EE. Not particularly good and expensive, in my view.

Husband went to pick up kebabs and used walkie talkie to tell me he was on way back and it was crystal clear. 

Another useful feature is that there's a direct emergency channel, so if we had a power cut and no landline (happened during a minor earthquake) we could summon help.
  • Matty246
    Matty246 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They would be useful for anyone to have now the landlines are being scrapped. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback