First Post
What are my rights in this situation? Can my employer do this please? Thank you

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 11,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 13 May at 3:12PM
    Options
    I have worked for my employer for 7-8 months and have a casual worker contract till the end of next month. They have written to say they are transferring all those who work in this role to a recruitment agency who will engage us going forward in the same position. I don't want to work for a recruitment agency, and the email says if that's the case I should withdraw from my role. It doesn't say anything about any kind of pay for the period, or any notice period.

What are my rights in this situation? Can my employer do this please?

Thank you
    What does your contract say? That's where you'll find your 'rights' set out, including any notice period.

What's your objection to working for an agency, assuming the terms and conditions are the same as your current short-term casual contract?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,664 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    What the "employer" is doing is transferring the administration of the short term contracts from themselves to someone else to manage.  

Sometimes this is done to stop anyone from having 2 years continuous service and thus gaining certain rights.  Sometimes it's just done as a cost cutting measure, less admin = less staff to do the admin.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 11,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 13 May at 5:13PM
    Options
    Brie said:
    What the "employer" is doing is transferring the administration of the short term contracts from themselves to someone else to manage.  

Sometimes this is done to stop anyone from having 2 years continuous service and thus gaining certain rights.  
    Not where it's a TUPE transfer.  Suggesting people 'withdraw from their role', as here, is often designed to evade that.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 May at 11:29PM
    Options
     Agencytransfer said:
    I have worked for my employer for 7-8 months and have a casual worker contract till the end of next month. They have written to say they are transferring all those who work in this role to a recruitment agency who will engage us going forward in the same position. I don't want to work for a recruitment agency, and the email says if that's the case I should withdraw from my role. It doesn't say anything about any kind of pay for the period, or any notice period.

Thank you
    So you know your contract with your current employer is currently due to terminate at the end of June.
    That means you have been given notice that your employment will end then.

Of course, the contract could have been extended but they are choosing not to do so.
    They are simply saying you can continue working in the role but this will be by way of a contract with a named employment agency.

If you don't want to work through the agency, don't go to work after the end of June.

Your current employer would need to pay you for the time up until your last day and also for any accrued but not taken holiday.

The above is on the assumption that they are not saying you would be working for the agency before your current contract would otherwise be due to end.  If they are saying you will only be employed direct up to, say, the end of May, then let us know.
  • LinLui
    LinLui Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Only your employer can tell you if they will terminate the contract earlier than the end of June,  so you need to ask them. But if you don't want to transfer your employment to the agency or for the agency to have your details, then you need to inform them of that within the timescale because the agency will be needing to set up payroll etc for those who will be working for them. Even though your contract is temporary,  it can still be terminated with notice before that,  either by the employer or by you. If no longer period is mentioned,  then the notice period is a week. 

If you have been paid rolled up holiday pay in your wages (which is commonly not lawful although a few employers still do it) then you have no accrued holiday - technically you can take the holiday but you won't be paid as you've already been paid for it. 
  • LinLui
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    LinLui said:
    Only your employer can tell you if they will terminate the contract earlier than the end of June,  so you need to ask them. But if you don't want to transfer your employment to the agency or for the agency to have your details, then you need to inform them of that within the timescale because the agency will be needing to set up payroll etc for those who will be working for them. Even though your contract is temporary,  it can still be terminated with notice before that,  either by the employer or by you. If no longer period is mentioned,  then the notice period is a week. 

If you have been paid rolled up holiday pay in your wages (which is commonly not lawful although a few employers still do it) then you have no accrued holiday - technically you can take the holiday but you won't be paid as you've already been paid for it. 
    Have you got a link for that please? Probably needs looking in to
    LinLui said:

Drat, apologies... this was the case,  but the law changed on 1st April and I missed it. 
    https://www.acas.org.uk/irregular-hours-and-part-year-workers/rolled-up-holiday-pay#:~:text='Rolled-up' holiday pay,use rolled-up holiday pay.

It is still not lawful for many people, but part year or irregular hours workers are now excluded. Which is crap because its now easy to get around giving people holiday (as opposed to holiday pay).
  • LinLui
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    LinLui said:
    LinLui said:

LinLui said:

Drat, apologies... this was the case,  but the law changed on 1st April and I missed it. 

It is still not lawful for many people, but part year or irregular hours workers are now excluded. Which is crap because it's now easy to get around giving people holiday (as opposed to holiday pay).
    I'm guessing as a casual worker I'm classed as an 'irregular hours worker'. My employer did this also before 1st April. Was it definitely illegal then? It's happened since I started 7-8 months ago.
    There are a few exceptions,  but they probably wouldn't apply. So yes,  probably unlawful (there's a difference) but I wouldn't get caught up in it.  There's precious little you can do about it anyway,  and given you were paid,  there is no gain for you. I'd focus on getting another job since you don't want to work for the agency. 

That said, is there some reason why you are so set against that? Because unless you are confident that you will find work elsewhere, it seems counterintuitive to pack in a job if you need one. 
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Regarding "rolled up holiday pay":
    it was not lawful to "roll up" the pay in the hourly rate - that is it was not lawful to simply pay a flat hourly rate which included the holiday element included in it.

However, what the OP's current employer has been doing is different.  They are paying an hourly rate and separately accounting for the holiday.  So in theory they could say they have paid for the hours worked and the extra separate amount is for holiday being taken that week (even if it didn't seem like a holiday!).  That was lawful.
  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
     Agencytransfer said:

Thank you
    So you know your contract with your current employer is currently due to terminate at the end of June.

Of course, the contract could have been extended but they are choosing not to do so.
    They are simply saying you can continue working in the role but this will be by way of a contract with a named employment agency.

If you don't want to work through the agency, don't go to work after the end of June.

Your current employer would need to pay you for the time up until your last day and also for any accrued but not taken holiday.

The above is on the assumption that they are not saying you would be working for the agency before your current contract would otherwise be due to end.  If they are saying you will only be employed direct up to, say, the end of May, then let us know.
    I had an informal interview scheduled for early June to have my contract extended. Then this email came out of the blue. I don't want to work through the agency, but I also don't want the agency having my details so it seems like I should 'withdraw from my role'. Does this have any negative effects please? As far as I can tell, I get no severance or redundancy pay etc. either way and should be paid for my time regardless. How does it work with accrued and not taken holiday please? My hourly rate (minimum wage) gets a holiday pay percentage added to each hour worked and is paid along with my basic pay so I'm not sure if that means I don't accrue holiday as such.

The email says that if we don't want to join the agency to let them know by the end of May and they will end the contract - but it doesn't say when (immediately, upon the end of may, or upon the end of the original contract). I think part of the problem is there is so much uncertainty due to the lack of detail.
     this is what happens when  the employer for a role changes 

it is somewhat irrelevant  that   the role is currnetly a casual  one ( and presumably  zero contracted hours) 

in TUPE situations the same advice is given , if you do not wish to employed by the new  employer for that role , either  find a  role that is staying  with the current employerr and  negotiate a start date before the cnange over  or you are deemed to have resigned WEF the change over 
  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

EnPointe said:
     Agencytransfer said:

Thank you

I had an informal interview scheduled for early June to have my contract extended. Then this email came out of the blue. I don't want to work through the agency, but I also don't want the agency having my details so it seems like I should 'withdraw from my role'. Does this have any negative effects please? As far as I can tell, I get no severance or redundancy pay etc. either way and should be paid for my time regardless. How does it work with accrued and not taken holiday please? My hourly rate (minimum wage) gets a holiday pay percentage added to each hour worked and is paid along with my basic pay so I'm not sure if that means I don't accrue holiday as such.

The email says that if we don't want to join the agency to let them know by the end of May and they will end the contract - but it doesn't say when (immediately, upon the end of may, or upon the end of the original contract). I think part of the problem is there is so much uncertainty due to the lack of detail.
     this is what happens when  the employer for a role changes 

it is somewhat irrelevant  that   the role is currnetly a casual  one ( and presumably  zero contracted hours) 

in TUPE situations the same advice is given , if you do not wish to employed by the new  employer for that role , either  find a  role that is staying  with the current employerr and  negotiate a start date before the cnange over  or you are deemed to have resigned WEF the change over 
    They seem to be doing it the other way around - they've said unless they hear from us otherwise, we will be transferred. So we are only resigning WEF the changeover if we specifically ask to. If not, they'll transfer the data without even really requesting permission - they are deeming silence to mean permission.
    yes, this is generally what happens   unless you change roles to one not subject to transfer or actively decline  to be transferred  and  therefore find yourself without a position in the original organisation you will be  transferred to the new employer 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure