🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Do you feel ok buying 2nd hand computer hardware given the chance it could have malware put on it?

Options
GervisLooper
GervisLooper Posts: 196 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
I want to buy a 4g usb dongle which is now discontinued and so the only market I can find them is 2nd hand.

I was reading up about exploits and how attackers can put them into the firmware of these devices in order to control your whole machine call home and whatever else.

Buying 2nd hand means any number of people could have used it and put bad stuff on it but at the same time I am unable to buy new now as I specifically want one of these older models.

I suppose the likelihood of it being compromised are slim but I am a paranoid person.

Comments

• TimeLord1
    TimeLord1 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you checked ebay I'm sure you will find new sealed on the site. As people sell new unused items no longer needed worth a try. 
  • Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 597 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I tend to buy hardware new but if I wanted a non-current item then I wouldn't hesitate to buy 2nd hand.  Lots of things are technically possible but very few people would have the skills or desire to do the things you mention.
    It should be possible to re-flash the firmware on the dongle if you are that paranoid but I honestly don't think it's worth the time/effort unless you have any evidence of the dongle doing strange things.
  • TimeLord1
    TimeLord1 Posts: 205 Forumite
    Options
    I understand basically you need something to view it securely old dvd player with USB should allow you to view the files securely on it and delete with a remote to clear it's memory. I used to do that for movies and music on flash drives, etc. 
  • outtatune
    outtatune Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you can't just go to your local pawnbroker and get one of their cheap used smartphones? The reason 4g dongles are so rare these days is that most people have the same functionality in their everyday phone.
  • CouldntResist
    CouldntResist Posts: 97 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 May at 10:21PM
    Options
    TimeLord1 said:
    I understand basically you need something to view it securely old dvd player with USB should allow you to view the files securely on it and delete with a remote to clear it's memory. I used to do that for movies and music on flash drives, etc. 
    Inventive, but I somehow doubt this would work on the file structure of an embedded device like a 4G dongle. There are any number of live OS boot options that would do something similar and more robustly on a PC which would not disturb the main OS
  • GervisLooper
    Options
    outtatune said:
    Is there a specific reason you can't just go to your local pawnbroker and get one of their cheap used smartphones? The reason 4g dongles are so rare these days is that most people have the same functionality in their everyday phone.

Don't use smartphones. Never have. Don't intend to.

I am fine using obscure devices like these just have to get my hands on one! 4g (unlike 3g!) will not be going anywhere any time soon then I will be set.
  • outtatune
    outtatune Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    outtatune said:

I am fine using obscure devices like these just have to get my hands on one! 4g (unlike 3g!) will not be going anywhere any time soon then I will be set.
    Then don't use it as a phone! This may come as a surprise to you, but Vodafone don't send heavies round forcing people to make phone calls! 
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,717 Forumite
    Options
    outtatune said:

4g dongles are not that obscure (Argos sell one). Are you after a very specific make/model?
  • Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I'm also wondering why you say that you can't buy a new one - why does it have to be a specific, discontinued, model?
    Amazon has plenty for sale from around £12 upwards dependng on what you want or can afford.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/4g-dongle/s?k=4g+dongle

• GervisLooper
    Options
    Are you after a very specific make/model?

Yes, for some very specific linux functionality.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure