EDF and GNE (remember them?) and bill from 2021

Options
pinkmexican
pinkmexican Posts: 168 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I was with GNE when they ceased trading and was moved over to EDF and almost immediately to EON.  Took a while but received Final bill and EDF/GNE in 2021 with a cheque.  

Saturday morning I receive an email from EDF stating that I have an overdue bill with them of £254.  Can't speak to anyone over the weekend but now they are stating that this bill was from the transfer.  I can't access my EDF account - as I don't have one and I can't access GNE as it doesn't exist.  What can I do?

Comments

• MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Did your bill from 2021 state "Final Bill" - do you still have that?
  • pinkmexican
    Options
    Yes it did and they sent me a cheque.  What they are saying is that they didn't take into account the amount from GNE going over to EDF and that is where the £254 comes from.  I have that statement from GNE/EDF although it expressly states it is 'not a request for payment and that I don't need to do anything' as 'your account balance will transfer to your new EDF account'.  It looks like they just missed it.  Can they suddenly realise and chase?  I'm glad it's not a huge amount, just wasn't expecting to pay for 2021's energy this year.
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes it did and they sent me a cheque.  What they are saying is that they didn't take into account the amount from GNE going over to EDF and that is where the £254 comes from.  I have that statement from GNE/EDF although it expressly states it is 'not a request for payment and that I don't need to do anything' as 'your account balance will transfer to your new EDF account'.  It looks like they just missed it.  Can they suddenly realise and chase?  I'm glad it's not a huge amount, just wasn't expecting to pay for 2021's energy this year.
    If it said final bill, then look into back billing rules and throw that back at EDF.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/what-do-if-you-get-back-bill
  • Mobtr
    Mobtr Posts: 668 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Did you ever have an account with EDF with an account number or did you go straight to Eon as the transfer was in progress? 
    The usual process would have been a final bill from GNE and that balance, whether debit or credit, would have transferred over to your new account with EDF & show on your first bill with them. 
    I don’t think back billing rules apply for SoLR billing but could be wrong 
  • Redandblueeagles
    Options
    I got this as well this weekend!! And today I got them to waiver the whole debt!

I enforced the points you have made above about not having to do anything as it will be transferred and told them it’s not my fault you didn’t settle my account properly, you can’t chase 2 years later!!! Then they offered to waiver 50% so I said I would take it to Ofgem and they called me saying the debt is waivers completely now but I must agree to reply in email saying I will not pursue it with ofgem!!!

Context below to EDF 

Please read the bill document that you have forwarded onto me.

It clearly states 

This is not a bill or request for payment, so you do not need to take any action at this time.

And

If you are now an EDF customer and you have an EDF account number any credit/debt balance that is shown on this final closing account will soon be transferred to your EDF account - you don’t need to do anything - this will be done for you by EDF.

EDF have issued me a final bill and my account is now closed. 

If EDF have missed this on my final account it is their fault and no responsibility lies with me.  

As it states above it will “soon” be transferred, 26 months is not considered “soon”

If this amount was owing then EDF should have assigned it to the account, as it was not assigned before the account was agreed settled and closed this loss is down to EDF not updating there accounts properly.

EDFs reply after they called me as well

As discussed on call I have now waived the remaining balance. The current balance is 0. You will no longer receive reminders for payments for this account. As confirmed, I have closed the case. Please share a written confirmation that you will no longer escalate to OFGEM, or if investigation has been raised, you will withdraw it?

• pinkmexican
    Options
    @Redandblueeagles I have exactly the same letter,  I’m glad you got it sorted I guess I’m phoning first thing tomorrow.  
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it helps anyone, this video gives a good summary of the back billing rules from a source I consider reputable:

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback