We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Unspent Holidays

Options
Two quick queries:

I am twelve working days short of my anniversary date, can unspent holidays be used to make up the deficit?

Secondly, can unspent holidays be used as part of the redundancy payment, rather than being taxed?

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 11,181 Ambassador
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Unused holidays have to be paid for as such unless you have garden leave which might absorb them.  Taxed either way.  

Whether you can stretch your anniversary date using holidays is likely up to your employer.  Or ask your union if you have one.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • LinLui
    LinLui Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Unless the employer agrees ( and I can't see why they would) the answer to your first question is probably (almost certainly) no; and the answer to the second is definitely no. 

The date of termination is the date the employer determines provided it is served within the law. You cannot choose to add unused holiday to the end,  only the employer can do that,  and there is no incentive for them to choose to do so if that costs them more (which it would) or gives you rights that they don't want you to have. They must pay for the unused holiday but they can also insist that you take any holiday during your notice period. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback